Bahamas closes again to flights from the US

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FYI, I didn't feel attacked - and as a result of this thread I'm looking at the data from a different perspective. Frankly, I get my hackles up when it feels like the world is taking a huge dump on the US - maybe it's my age; maybe it's because I'm from the midwest; I'm proud of my country and I think we have a lot to offer. So I'm motivated to say good things about it.

I don't feel bad about these restrictions we are in the middle of a global pandemic. Now if they continue after the pandemic passes that is a completely different situation.

OTOH I'm in the camp that there won't be a vaccine. I also believe that this virus will be around for the long term basically becoming another seasonal virus with likely mutations like the flu. So the countries that "defeated" the virus are fighting a losing battle. But this is my guess, who is right? Who is wrong? Not even the epidemiologists are agreeing on how this will shake out in the long run, so only time will tell.

Now I should say that my belief doesn't override the fact that we need to flatten the curve using a variety of measures to reduce unneeded deaths due to a medical system that is overloaded with patients.

Here's something to make you cry. If you take out the number of new deaths in the Navajo Nation (10) and Veterans Affairs (9), we're approaching zero (depending on which number you're looking at, 22 or 27 - for July 20) . Maybe other countries should not allow folks to travel to their countries if they were visiting someone at the VA or Navajo Nation? :(

Here's something to make you cry. If you take out the number of new deaths in the Navajo Nation (10) and Veterans Affairs (9), we're approaching zero (depending on which number you're looking at, 22 or 27 - for July 20) . Maybe other countries should not allow folks to travel to their countries if they were visiting someone at the VA or Navajo Nation? :(

It is not just the people that eventually die that are contagious...

P.S.: And the number of new cases/deaths/etc is not closed for today.

It is not just the people that eventually die that are contagious...

I understand, but that wasn't my point - I guess I should have been more clear. I feel it's a horror that these folks receive such poor care, or live in such conditions that they are physically more vulnerable. Know what I mean?

FYI, I didn't feel attacked - and as a result of this thread I'm looking at the data from a different perspective. Frankly, I get my hackles up when it feels like the world is taking a huge dump on the US - maybe it's my age; maybe it's because I'm from the midwest; I'm proud of my country and I think we have a lot to offer. So I'm motivated to say good things about it.

Now, in regards to looking at the data from a different perspective, does anyone have a source they TRUST that provides current info (what is happening day by day)? I've seen a lot of stories about erroneous counts.

I often wonder where Americans in country are getting their news sources etc. ‘America getting dumped on’ often seems to be an internal opinion whereas most of the attitudes I generally see are commiseration/empathy etc towards the US and the Covid situation there. Although internally it often seems to be that Americans have a perception that other countries are somehow taking pleasure in the situation or specifically targeting them based on anything other than raw data..although I accept that is likely an internal perception a lot of people domestically want Americans to have ‘US versus the world’

granted there are clearly some propaganda nations/Nkorea/Russia etc. But for most locations it just isn’t the case, although Americans usually seem to have this idea..

anyway, back on topic. I just wanted to put it out there that ‘most’ people on the world actually like Americans because they can focus on individuals more than the collective...sure there is stereotypical joking, but since Monty python hit the US shores, Americans have generally been able to take it with good humour and give as good as they get without resorting immediately to insular offence.

anyway, back on topic. I just wanted to put it out there that ‘most’ people on the world actually like Americans because they can focus on individuals more than the collective.

Thank you for this! :)

Now, in regards to looking at the data from a different perspective, does anyone have a source they TRUST that provides current info (what is happening day by day)? I've seen a lot of stories about erroneous counts.
New Cases of COVID-19 In World Countries

Johns Hopkins

I honestly think you guys are getting gaslighted by your own media most of the time.. ‘everyone hates us’

LOL...IMHO "gaslighting" by the media is the least of our problems. It's not hard to sort clickbait from actual information, but grouping it all together is a convenient way to make arguments and put ones head in the sand. Again IMHO, the far more dangerous "gaslighting of us vs them" by institutions we grant authority as a tried and true method of gaining/solidifying our consent is...well, a topic for a different forum...:shakehead:

I wish the Bahamas well. I just postponed a trip because I couldn't make their prior testing requirements. I hope to get a chance to dive there again soon. Be safe. :)

Back
Top Bottom