Bahamas closes again to flights from the US

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting. Do you have a source for that? The news release had very different requirements.
The one i haven’t been able to work out yet though...

can you travel as a Canadian citizen from a location without restrictions (Bahamas/curaçao/cancun etc) back into Canada, enter 14 day quarantine and then leave Canada and fly to another destination with no restrictions (Bahamas/curaçao/cancun etc) BEFORE the 14 day quarantine was up?

I.E. Could you fly from cancun to Toronto and then back to cancun 7 days later? Or would they deny boarding somewhere..

The one i haven’t been able to work out yet though...

can you travel as a Canadian citizen from a location without restrictions (Bahamas/curaçao/cancun etc) back into Canada, enter 14 day quarantine and then leave Canada and fly to another destination with no restrictions (Bahamas/curaçao/cancun etc) BEFORE the 14 day quarantine was up?

I.E. Could you fly from cancun to Toronto and then back to cancun 7 days later? Or would they deny boarding somewhere..
Not allowed. Quarantine means you can not leave your house. Makes it kind of hard to get to the airport.

My data is a week old - the source for COVID info is the ncov2019.live website (not the gold standard but not bunk either). When you compare the US population (328.3 million) to that of the EU countries (325.6 million) and go from there, we don't look so bad. The US deaths as a percent of population is .042 versus the EU's .045. Granted, those numbers may have changed dramatically over the past 7 days - and maybe I'll update my excel spreadsheet in the morning and give you an update. It's not accurate (IMO) to compare US to individual countries that have a fraction of the population (or are geographically significantly different, as in island nations) - some have done MUCH better and some much worse. But when looking at something that seems more 'apples to apples' it seems to make more sense. I'm open to the possibility I'm not looking at things from the right angle in terms of statistical analysis - not my forte and I've made errors in data entry so am willing to admit to errors if you see any - but I do like my spreadsheets. :)

I'm curious how the ncov2019.live website differs from the Johns Hopkins website, and how that differs from the WHO website. I haven't looked at the data side by side, but if they're all getting their information from the same sources they would agree, wouldn't they? SO many variables ... and we are entirely dependent on a governmental or international organization to provide accurate info ... and they are dependent on local sources to provide it to them. So many possible problems in the chain of information.

I think most reputable outlets would find it hard to argue that ‘active cases’ is the main relevant statistic in this situation. (Likely case trajectory as a second statistic)

dead people/ deaths per population etc. Isn’t really a key statistic when determining borders to close. dead people generally aren’t really a danger to anyone cross border.

Statistics of total cases since the beginning of the pandemic make no sense at this point to determine risk as several months have passed already.

Active cases is the relevant metric, as well as the % of positives in the tests made to people not previously diagnosed with the virus (otherwise countries with low testing seem to be in a better situation than they actually are).

Several countries are using the total number of new cases per 100k population over the last 14 days to decide whether to open borders to said country.

According to worldometers, as of today 00:00 GMT the USA had c. 290 cases / 100k population during the last 14 days. This compares with c. 47 in Portugal (one of the countries in the EU where this metric is currently higher) and 14-15 as the limit EU considered to open its borders.

5A7D78EC-D4B2-495A-B8E7-E8972BB28D75.png

Interesting that Bahamas will close the same day Turks and Caicos will open.

I wonder if the T & C islands will go through the same stress with their more stringent entry application process and protocol.

My comments were not meant as an attack on Kimela, but obviously you perceived my reply as such. .
Obviously? Wrong. My point was made in my post above.

My comments were not meant as an attack on Kimela, but obviously you perceived my reply as such. So I apologize for failure to communicate. As I said, I generally agree with her posts, but believe her information was incorrect .

FYI, I didn't feel attacked - and as a result of this thread I'm looking at the data from a different perspective. Frankly, I get my hackles up when it feels like the world is taking a huge dump on the US - maybe it's my age; maybe it's because I'm from the midwest; I'm proud of my country and I think we have a lot to offer. So I'm motivated to say good things about it.

Now, in regards to looking at the data from a different perspective, does anyone have a source they TRUST that provides current info (what is happening day by day)? I've seen a lot of stories about erroneous counts.

FYI, I didn't feel attacked - and as a result of this thread I'm looking at the data from a different perspective. Frankly, I get my hackles up when it feels like the world is taking a huge dump on the US - maybe it's my age; maybe it's because I'm from the midwest; I'm proud of my country and I think we have a lot to offer. So I'm motivated to say good things about it.

Now, in regards to looking at the data from a different perspective, does anyone have a source they TRUST that provides current info (what is happening day by day)? I've seen a lot of stories about erroneous counts.

Coronavirus Update (Live): 14,674,722 Cases and 609,619 Deaths from COVID-19 Virus Pandemic - Worldometer

Back
Top Bottom