Can we go to Coz yet?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My dive master reports that the people on the island are wearing masks and socially distancing but those coming from the US are not. The tourists refuse to take any measures to minimize the spread of the coronavirus. I told him that is likely because those that are likely to take protective measures are not likely to be buying a ticket to fly to Mexico right now for a vacation. I sent him another 200 and told him he really doesn't need to take risks with sketchy tourists if he doesn't want to. We can keep him afloat and he can just go do solo shore dives to keep his feet wet.

The restaurant we sent a bit of cash to is open and doing take-out business. They declined the offer to send them more cash for the time being.

My dive master reports that the people on the island are wearing masks and socially distancing but those coming from the US are not. The tourists refuse to take any measures to minimize the spread of the coronavirus. I told him that is likely because those that are likely to take protective measures are not likely to be buying a ticket to fly to Mexico right now for a vacation.
I think you are spot on. Those tourists are, IMO, less likely to have been taking precautions at home as well.

My dive master reports that the people on the island are wearing masks and socially distancing but those coming from the US are not. The tourists refuse to take any measures to minimize the spread of the coronavirus. I told him that is likely because those that are likely to take protective measures are not likely to be buying a ticket to fly to Mexico right now for a vacation. I sent him another 200 and told him he really doesn't need to take risks with sketchy tourists if he doesn't want to. We can keep him afloat and he can just go do solo shore dives to keep his feet wet.

Maybe those people already had COVID so wearing a mask is pointless as it won't protect anyone from anything.

Maybe those people already had COVID so wearing a mask is pointless as it won't protect anyone from anything.

Maybe "those people" could show a little respect for the locals who are trying like hell to keep their businesses open; follow the rules; and have a good time. "Those people" might enjoy pi$$ing into the wind in a crowd but the other folks...not so much. :facepalm:

It sounds like you don't understand the primary reason for the mask: to protect others from whatever you exhaled moisture may carry, like everyone in a surgical theater.

We're getting good participation in Plainview stores now as the stores all have signs: No mask, no entry! At least I didn't see any Carens refusing to wear, and I felt safer shopping. In my small farm town, not so good even tho our numbers have grown here too.

It sounds like you don't understand the primary reason for the mask: to protect others from whatever you exhaled moisture may carry, like everyone in a surgical theater.

Yes, I understand perfectly. If someone has had COVID and is now negative, they can not spread it. Therefore that person wearing a mask is not going to protect others.

And to the ridiculous comment above that they should just go with the flow and wear one anyway, that is absurd. How is that showing respect?

If someone has had COVID and is now negative
Medical experts have found that having it once does not make you immune or even safe to others. If you have an MD, then give us your educated opinion.

And to the ridiculous comment above that they should just go with the flow and wear one anyway, that is absurd. How is that showing respect?

These businesses have been given guidelines they must follow in order to serve the public. Many of their employees have been required to take training as part of these guidelines. Regardless of your personal situation, which they have no reasonable way of confirming, they have rules to follow in order to stay open and their livelihoods depend on it. It is "respectful" as a customer to do as they ask. It is doubly "respectful" as a tourist to follow the rules of the host country and IMHO goes without saying especially in this time of health concerns (again regardless of YOUR opinion of its severity). Their boat...their rules.

Back
Top Bottom