New to BP/W...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lilghost

New
Reaction score
I'm considering buying my own BC after renting for years and I want to switch to a BP/W set up.

I've done a bit of research, but not really sure on what's best for me. I don't understand how much "lift" I need from a wing and I don't know whether to go with an AL or SS or soft backplate.

Some facts about me-
I weigh 59kg (130lb), I'm 164cm tall (5.3 feet), I am female
I dive recreationally, single tank
I dive in salt water of 17 to 19C (62.6 to 66.2F), I also sometimes travel and dive in the tropics
I have a 5mm probe idry full suit, plus 2mm gloves, hood and booties
I use 8kg (17.6lb) of lead wearing the above with a rental jacket-style BCD and AL 80 tank

I really just want something that is not going to be too big for my body, and also affordable. The weight of the BC in terms of travelling is irrelevant (I otherwise travel light) however I have been looking at the xdeep ghost because it seems to be affordable and well-reviewed?

I would suggest a 30 lbs wing, donut style, narrow. With a SS plate you will able to remove a number of weights from your belt. Then you can insert the others in quick-release pockets.
For travelling, probably an alu plate is lighter to transport. But if this does not matter for you, go with the SS.
The Xdeep Ghost looks nice, very light, but is not cheap at 449 Eur...
xDeep Ghost Standard Set Without Weight Pockets L Nero, Scubastore
I did just buy this one, spending 295 Eur for the whole set:
GAV DIR30
But of course the prices could be different in your country...

A stainless steel plate and a 30# wing should work out. You use enough lead that a standard SS plate makes more sense to me than a lightweight version., My only thought is whether or not you would be more comfortable in one of the short plates. Perhaps someone here who uses one will chime in.

small-backplate

A stainless steel plate and a 30# wing should work out. You use enough lead that a standard SS plate makes more sense to me than a lightweight version., My only thought is whether or not you would be more comfortable in one of the short plates. Perhaps one of the women here who use them will chime in.

I am about 160 tall and weigh 57kg. I have been usong a normal sized plate now for a couple of months and for me this works fine.
We bought a lightweight (carbon) version for travelling but with my current setup at home a stainless steel would have been a better option. Unfortunately it's a bit too expensive to get both :wink:

There are 3 quality sets below that would meet your needs, all in the 350-400 range. a 30 lb wing might be a bit much lift for you, you could probably get away with a 23 to save a little $.

DGX Custom - DGX Singles Harness / Backplate / Wing Package | Dive Gear Express®

Hog BP/W Full Set - Single

Deep 6 Single Tank Backplate and Wing Package

You will need to add some weight pockets to all 3. Most manufacturers offer ditchable weight pockets for an extra 60-100 but in truth something like Cave Adventurers - XS Scuba Quick-Release Single Weight Pocket - Marianna, Florida USA - Never Undersold! works just fine too at $12 a piece with each holding 5 lbs. Add a few trim pouches on the back for a few extra $ and you are set.

If she needs that much lead, a 23# wing might not be enough to keep the rig afloat by the time she adds a regulator, lights, and a full tank of gas. OTOH, getting rid of the padded BC might result in couple of pounds less being needed.

If she needs that much lead, a 23# wing might not be enough to keep her rig afloat by the time she adds a regulator, lights, and a full tank of gas. OTOH, getting rid of the padded BC might result in couple of pounds less being needed.
I doubt she couldn’t get by with a lot less weight.

A stainless steel plate and a 30# wing should work out. You use enough lead that a standard SS plate makes more sense to me than a lightweight version., My only thought is whether or not you would be more comfortable in one of the short plates. Perhaps someone here who uses one will chime in.

small-backplate

I’m 5’5” and I use a Halcyon short BP. Standard sized plate is too long for me and puts the waist belt at my hips, which often felt like it was going to fall off. Much more secure with short plate.

Do you have somewhere you could try a standard sized plate?

There are 3 quality sets below that would meet your needs, all in the 350-400 range. a 30 lb wing might be a bit much lift for you, you could probably get away with a 23 to save a little $.

DGX Custom - DGX Singles Harness / Backplate / Wing Package | Dive Gear Express®

Hog BP/W Full Set - Single

Deep 6 Single Tank Backplate and Wing Package

You will need to add some weight pockets to all 3. Most manufacturers offer ditchable weight pockets for an extra 60-100 but in truth something like Cave Adventurers - XS Scuba Quick-Release Single Weight Pocket - Marianna, Florida USA - Never Undersold! works just fine too at $12 a piece with each holding 5 lbs. Add a few trim pouches on the back for a few extra $ and you are set.

OP is in Australia. I’m not sure suggesting DGX is the best option.

Back
Top Bottom