Dry gloves inner liner

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"4E Xerotherm is great for warmth vs dextrity."

I agree with the statement above, but my issue with 4E is that their products are expensive for what amounts to something made out of commercially available microfleece material. Handling the products I have of theirs and comparing them to similar products, I don't believe they are using material that they specially developed themselves. A quick search for microfleece gloves on Amazon.com brings up loads of similar products that are much less expensive than the approximately $40 msrp of the 4E Xerotherm gloves.

-Z

4th Element G1 (not the Xerotherm, that's a different product I think). They are hydrofoam, not microfleece. Hands down (hah!) the best.

I have had a full flood in Newfoundland (water in the mid 30s) and barely noticed it. That's by far and away the most important quality of a dry glove liner - keeps you warm even if wet.

I have had one pair for years, very durable.

Reactions: Zef
Fourth Element Xerotherm gloves. After only 40minutes in 7°Celcius my fingertips start feeling a bit chilly.

I'm a sucker for all warmth management gear from FE.

No Gravity has nice gloves too. And of course the xerotherm.
When using seals, you can replace the tubes with the xerotherm wrist warmers. Much more comfortable.
(Be sure to trim your seals a bit. As stated before, the squeeze will prevent blood flow, so if they are too tight you'll get cold hands no matter what insulation you have)

I agree with the statement above, but my issue with 4E is that their products are expensive for what amounts to something made out of commercially available microfleece material.

That was my next sentence... That you can find plenty of similar fleece gloves in outdoor stores.

Handling the products I have of theirs and comparing them to similar products, I don't believe they are using material that they specially developed themselves.

Definitely not. According to 4E webpage, Xerotherm is made using Polartec® Powerstretch® originally developed for NASA.
I do find that there are substantial quality and performance differences in fleece fabrics. Top brands like Polartec being among the best. You are paying for the brand, but mostly that guarantees high performance and quality too. Most brands claiming they use Polartec fleece fabrics are relatively expensive. Just like goretex.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom