Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, I'm aware that the scientific classification of manta rays has been changed. They can redo the scientific classification all they want, but for most of us, a manta ray will continue to be a manta ray. Despite the genetic similarities of the species, physical characteristics are different. I'm not a scientist so it doesn't bother me to say that manta rays are a species of mobula ray. I'd wager that most of us don't speak about marine wildlife using the Latin scientific classification names anyway.

The rays featured in the Soroco video posted in this thread are what we commonly refer to as manta rays. (LOL)

So are you saying that black mantas and chevron mantas, neither one are considered mobulas?

Nope, I agree with your post noting the reclassification of manta rays as a species of mobula ray by members of the scientific community. So, you can call any type of manta ray a mobula if you want to. It certainly doesn't matter to me what you call them. I'll continue to refer to manta rays with the common name of manta ray regardless of its coloration. Despite many years of working as a mammalologist and writing frequent lengthy reports involving scientific names, my Latin is lousy. Hopefully, members of the scientific community will cut me some slack. (LOL)

Would I commonly refer to a black manta or a chevron manta as a mobula in reply to a question asking where one could swim with schools of what we commonly refer to as mobulas? No, I would not. Like it or not, mobulas that school in huge numbers in areas of the Gulf of California differ in physical characteristics and behavior from 'manta rays' (oops, there's that common reference again) you encounter frequently at places like Socorro.

Someone posted what looks like a National Geographic video of mobulas (remember, that's just a common reference) schooling in the Gulf of California. I believe this is the type of mobula ray the individual who started this thread was looking for.

If someone were to ask where he/she had the best chance to dive with pelagic manta rays, several places would make my list. Socorro, Indonesia, and Isla de las Mujeres immediately come to mind.

By the way, nice photos and video clips from Socorro.

-AZTinman

OK, so searching for different types of mantas (mobulas). I see this in wiki as the 11 current living species:

1 Mobula_alfredi (reef manta ray)
2 Mobula_birostris (giant oceanic manta ray)
3 Mobula_eregoodootenkee (pygmy devil ray)
4 Mobula_hypostoma (lesser devil ray)
5 Mobula_japanica (spinetail mobula)
6 Mobula_kuhlii (shortfin devil ray)
7 Mobula_mobular (devil fish)
8 Mobula_munkiana (Munk's devil ray)
9 Mobula_rochebrunei (lesser Guinean devil ray)
10 Mobula_tarapacana (Chilean devil ray)
11 Mobula_thurstoni (bentfin devil ray)

My understanding is the Chevron Mantas we saw in Socorro were #2 and then not so sure if the black mantas fell under the same species? What mobulas are you referring to?

Re: video - thanks! I got close to em for sure

Five species of mobula are known to found in Mexican waters. The giant oceanic (pelagic) manta is one of them. The two other species I've seen in large schools in the Gulf of California were Mobula munkiana (Pygmy Devil Ray) and Mobula thurstoni (Smoothtail mobula). Both of these species are much smaller than Mobula birostris (giant oceanic manta ray). I suspect I've also seen Mobula tarapacana (Sicklefin Devil Ray), but couldn't get close enough to see markings.

Pygmies, smoothtails, and sicklefins are known to congregate in large schools in the gulf and leap from the water when they're schooling. Diving with these mobulas is difficult as they tend to be really skittish. There are some dive ops in La Paz that have offered night diving with mobulas. The ops use dive lights in an effort to attract the food mobulas eat.

I've never seen photographs of videos of mantas from Sorocco that weren't Mobula birostris (Giant Mantas), but I haven't seen every image capture or video recorded from Sorocco. Yours looked like Mobula birostris.

Based on the response the individual who started this thread to the video post featuring leaping mobulas and some private messages we've exchanged, I believe he looking for a place to see large schools of leaping mobulas (of course, that's not the scientific name... LOL).

For what it's worth, manta rays (both Giant Oceanic and Reef Mantas) have been considered in the Family Mobulidae for quite some time. The genetic link really just strengthens the arrangement of the family tree.

Hope this helps!

-AZTinman

Thank you all for sharing knowledge and thoughts. Help I am looking for on this tread is identifying the best place to swim with large schools of Mobulas jumping like this I am aiming for migration season this year. I am leaning toward to La Paz or Cabo San Lucas while I have also considered Bahia (due to accessibility without a car). Need to nail down to one place. If a chance is same, I would prefer CSL. However, chance of swimming with Mobulas is top priority. As I am now learning that mobulas are skittish so should I pass (not a big fan of night dive)?

I have been to Socorros last year and seen oceanic manta rays (sorry if I am off for a scientific name). It was great experience.

Hope this helps!
-AZTinman

Thanks man, it did. I will say, we saw tons of mantas / mobulas flying out of the water during our surface intervals. We also had mamma/baby humpbacks breaching, as well as visiting pods of porpoise!

Thanks man, it did. I will say, we saw tons of mantas / mobulas flying out of the water during our surface intervals. We also had mamma/baby humpbacks breaching, as well as visiting pods of porpoise!
When was it? Thx.

I don't remember how many years ago the incident happened, but it's nice to know humpbacks have returned.

It's currently whale watching season in the Northern Gulf of California. I'll be there next week to chase whale photographs. Last week, a pod of orcas was spotted about ninety miles south of where I'll be. I'm hoping the orcas stay south. The humpback and fin whales will leave if the orcas show-up.

-AZTinman

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom