Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Disco King

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am planning to go Baja California to swim with Mobulas. What is the best place in terms of a chance to see a big school during the migration season? Cabo Lucas, La Paz, San Jose Del Cabo, Cabo Pulmo?? Is June the best time?

Thanks!

I am planning to go Baja California to swim with Mobulas. What is the best place in terms of a chance to see a big school during the migration season? Cabo Lucas, La Paz, San Jose Del Cabo, Cabo Pulmo?? Is June the best time?

Thanks!

We took this picture off Land's End, in November 2018.

41810761870_039391dc4e_c.jpg

Socorro, hands down.

A record-breaking school of mobular rays has arrived off the coast of Baja. =>

I'm not sure why someone responded that Socorro was a great place to see mobula rays. Socorro is a go to place for manta rays not mobula rays.

You'll find mobula rays throughout the Gulf of California during the summer into the fall. La Paz is a good place. Some of the dive ops there run night dives with mobulas. They use dive lights to attract and concentrate the plankton mobulas eat.

As you look for a great mobula destination and dive op, you might want to e-mail different dive ops from Cabo San Lucas to Loreto. Tell them what you're interested in seeing and see how they respond to your inquiry.

Once you get north of Loreto, you won't find much in the way of organized dive ops. The diving in places like Bahia de los Angeles is amazing and there are big schools of mobulas, but you really have to be a self-sufficient diver. It's not Holiday Inn diving. There are a few dive ops (like Rocky Point Scuba Dive) that do trips to Bahia de los Angeles during mobula season.

-AZTinman

I'm not sure why someone responded that Socorro was a great place to see mobula rays. Socorro is a go to place for manta rays not mobula rays.

You'll find mobula rays throughout the Gulf of California during the summer into the fall. La Paz is a good place. Some of the dive ops there run night dives with mobulas. They use dive lights to attract and concentrate the plankton mobulas eat.

As you look for a great mobula destination and dive op, you might want to e-mail different dive ops from Cabo San Lucas to Loreto. Tell them what you're interested in seeing and see how they respond to your inquiry.

Once you get north of Loreto, you won't find much in the way of organized dive ops. The diving in places like Bahia de los Angeles is amazing and there are big schools of mobulas, but you really have to be a self-sufficient diver. It's not Holiday Inn diving. There are a few dive ops (like Rocky Point Scuba Dive) that do trips to Bahia de los Angeles during mobula season.

-AZTinman
Thank you so much! I found a scuba shop in Bahia de Los Angeles and will contact them.

If you are in East Coast USA, I would recommend Santa Maria island in the Azores. There is one dive spot (Baixa do Ambrósio) in which as far as I know they are almost (adding this just because they are wild life) guaranteed (you can get 10 on a bad day, 40 on a good one).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom