Snorkel: Required or dangerous?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They get in the way when donating the primary on a long hose. I always have one packed and have never taken it out. Perhaps if I get back to Palau some day and visit Jellyfish Lake I'll need it.

I'd "pack" one if wearing it on the mask is an issue, but I'll always have one on me ready for use. I have never had to use an octo for a true OOA situation in the last couple of decades and I always carry one but I have almost always used a snorkel on the surface as a standard procedure when on the surface either swimming to the exit point (shore or boat) or waiting for the boat to come to me.

I think an important thing to distinguish though is what kind of snorkel to use. One of the monstrous things with a dry cap and long flappy hose to the mouthpiece with a huge purge valve? Debatably dangerous, needlessly expensive, and just plain annoying. Simple J or pocket snorkel? very different discussion.

I use Scubapro purge snorkel with open top or an inline deflector on the top with flex lower part. It is still a streamlined snorkel and very comfortable. I don't like J shaped snorkels when scuba diving since they get in the way more when the snorkels with flexible tube are more comfortable and convenient for me. I also have an inexpensive XS Scuba with purge and flex tube that is also VERY good and use it in my training program for students' use. Both brands and types have a somewhat quick disconnect to remove the snorkel from mask with one hand and just one or two fingers for storage or when need to in the water. None of these snorkels are monstrous or have a "flappy" hose or have a huge purge valve at all. There are other types of snorkels that are too cumbersome and unnecessarily bulky, overpriced with cheap parts that I won't use and don't think that they are any good.

I'd "pack" one if wearing it on the mask is an issue, but I'll always have one on me ready for use. I have never had to use an octo for a true OOA situation in the last couple of decades and I always carry one but I have almost always used a snorkel on the surface as a standard procedure when on the surface either swimming to the exit point (shore or boat) or waiting for the boat to come to me.

Pretty much my experience and practice.

I started off always using the snorkel on the surface while waiting for other divers to splash and for any surface swims. In rough seas I will also keep it in my mouth until I am climbing the ladder,

This was partially in response to my being an air pig at the start of my diving career, now that I am better at gas consumption, I still use it except on ice dives. When I take the wreck cert, I will not use it on wreck for entanglement concerns.

Nothing more useless than a snorkel on an ice dive.

If divers are arriving at the surface with empty tanks, we have a failure of standards issue—not a snorkel one.
Or a freeflowing regulator?

If all went according to plan, on every dive, we would not need octopus, long hose, dive knife or spare anything. I do not have a strong opinion on snorkels, but I have strong opinion on planning for problems, even if they are in breach of standards.

If all went according to plan, on every dive, we would not need octopus, long hose, dive knife or spare anything. .... but I have strong opinion on planning for problems...

Exactly!

Mad to have it dangling on your face and never use it. I would not use it unless forced to.

In Queensland there are some weird regulations making some operators think they must enforce divers to bring a snorkel, for that purpose I have an Aqua Lung Nautilus snorkel that folds and snaps into a small round plastic holder. I recommend it, should you be in a situation where you may need to bring an emergency snorkel.

I use it exclusively to 'show' that I theoretically have one to avoid arguments and then conveniently forget it. Since the crew with that specific operator changed, it's not a safety briefing point anymore though. If I was to bring it, I'd bungee loop it to some obscure D ring out of sight. Never ever on my mask. I don't bring it because having to rinse it, dry it, and put it back together is too much to ask.

For surface swims, I am either cruising on my back when waiting for boat people, or very happy with my reg in mouth when 'snorkelling'.

While a snorkel is a hindrance to long hose deployment—I think we are all forgetting one critical aspect:

planning the dive correctly. One should have enough gas before, during, and after the dive. Moreover, they should arrive at the surface with enough gas to inflate the BC to place the head above water and a regulator in their mouth to swim to the end destination or wait for pickup.

If divers are arriving at the surface with empty tanks, we have a failure of standards
issue—not a snorkel one.

Amen to that!

So one shouldn't plan for the worst? Do you use an alternate air source or a pony or an octo just because you are planning your dive "correctly" and won't have any need for contingency scuba on you?
That's a good question. I plan my dives within my limits—not the worst-case scenario. Also, I plan and dive as a team—the need for a snorkel to miraculously save my life on the surface is negligible with all factors in place. Cheers.

I do a lot of snorkeling in addition to diving. I'm very comfortaable using a snorkel when doing long surface swims. Swimming on my back isn't always in a straight line and I miss seeing what's beneath me - like a spotted eagle ray.

I have never even noticed my snorkel on a dive. I do not use a long hose (have a long hose on the pony to pass to a diver that needs air). Dangerous - not on the dives I do. Not necessarily essential, but certainly very useful at times.

Finally, anyone that yells at me is generally ignored, and, if they persist, is told to go &%$# themself.

I don't use a snorkel unless I'm DMing an OW class. When I'm diving for pleasure, a snorkel wouldn't work but not for any of the reasons mentioned thus far. Take a look at my avatar. If you can find a way for a snorkel to work with a full face mask, then maybe I"ll consider diving with one. Otherwise, I have a surface air valve (SAV) for time spent on the surface. I could probably carry a pocket snorkel, just as I carry a spare mask on every dive and a spare 2nd stage w/ a QD fitting in case I ever need it (and I did last summer in Cozumel), but things would have to go really awry for me to need it. I'd have to have problems forcing me out of my ffm into a conventional mask and reg setup and then I'd have to have considerable time on the surface after that. When I'm boat diving, I generally try to stay a few feet below the surface under the chop to avoid motion sickness. So even then, I'd more than likely be on my reg.

I certainly don't condemn others for their choice of what gear to dive, though. It's their dive and it's up to them to do what makes them comfortable. I just make certain I know what they're diving if I'm buddying with them (or even if I'm not) so I know how to handle a situation if it arises.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom