Length of boat ride to dive sites and surface conditions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dramamine and Meclazine both make me slightly sleepy but I don't notice it with Scopolomine.
I suppose the dosage of Scopolamine used is safe. Nothing like used by the CIA.

Forget all the dangerous drugs just remember if you make yourself throw up 30 mins before go time your body enters a refractory period whete you're immune to motion sickness
Punctuation is a dying skill. Did he just say to make yourself throw up before going out? Radical!

The ginger candy we take with us on trips is Chimes. It comes in different flavors, like mango, orange, peppermint, peanut butter, and original. You suck on them to a point that you can eventually chew them - they have a consistency like a tough gummy bear. I take them on dives for the surface interval and offer them to anyone who’s not looking to well.
That sounds safest. $5.59 for 2 oz? Wow.

Ever get seasick?

Not any more. I used to when I was a kid going offshore fishing on my dad's boat. If you've ever been deep sea fishing with a group of avid fisherpersons you know that taking a seasick person back to shore isn't an option. If you're sick you'll get sympathy, but you've just got to deal with it until the trip is over.

In time, I got less and less susceptible to the mal de mar, and even now if it's been a year since I've been out I may get a little queasy in the first few minutes when we leave the dock if it's rough, but I don't get sick any more. I'm acclimated now, and I believe it's the only real cure.

The best remedy is to try to get the captain let you steer. It may not be possible, but the person steering never gets motion sickness.

Not any more. I used to when I was a kid going offshore fishing on my dad's boat. If you've ever been deep sea fishing with a group of avid fisherpersons you know that taking a seasick person back to shore isn't an option. If you're sick you'll get sympathy, but you've just got to deal with it until the trip is over.

In time, I got less and less susceptible to the mal de mar, and even now if it's been a year since I've been out I may get a little queasy in the first few minutes when we leave the dock if it's rough, but I don't get sick any more. I'm acclimated now, and I believe it's the only real cure.
People who don't get seasick have all kinds of ideas of how to fix seasickness. After 2 weeks of Mexico boat diving I would get to the point that I could go out on a normal day and not be sick. Unfortunately that was always near the end of our time diving. The next year I was back at square one. I have spent several long days out with the Mexican fishermen so sick that I couldn't function at all, only possible to try to sleep, for 6 or 7 hours at a time. Travacalm fixes that for me.

The best remedy is to try to get the captain let you steer. It may not be possible, but the person steering never gets motion sickness.
I've had a private pilot tell me to take the controls a couple of times. Yes it helps, but I still felt really sick.

People who don't get seasick have all kinds of ideas of how to fix seasickness.
But I did used to get very seasick and now I don't, and I "fixed" it by acclimation, mostly because I had no choice. It might not be the best fix for everyone, or a fix at all for some people, but it worked for me and I never took any drugs or home remedies for it.

Aside: If you are out with someone who is seasick, don't be constantly asking them how they feel. They may have started to forget about it, and reminding them about it doesn't help them.

Bonine is what should be used as that works on middle ear, take it from me Vertigo King! Dramine is only for motion sickness

Medication taken orally does not know where to go. Neither meclizine ("Bonine", "Dramamine II", "Dramamine Less-Drowsy") nor dimenhydrinate ("Dramamine") does much at all in the middle ear. They act primarily in the brain. Each works primarily by blocking type 1 histamine ("H-1") receptors and nicotinic acetylcholine receptors.

Both meclizine and dimenhydrinate are FDA-approved for nausea, vomiting, and motion sickness. Meclizine is also approved for vertigo, which is not the same as motion sickness. Each has its proponents and detractors but looking at large samples each works about equally well for preventing or treating motion sickness. If I get queasy on a boat I'll take whichever I can get.

I've had a private pilot tell me to take the controls a couple of times. Yes it helps, but I still felt really sick.

When I was flying in high school I occasionally got massively motion sick when I was the only person in the plane.

Pro tip: don't try to vomit out the window of a Cessna 150 while in flight. It takes hours to get everything off the inside of rear window and that does nothing to improve ones nausea.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom