Length of boat ride to dive sites and surface conditions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sneeg

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
We are thinking about going to Cozumel in early September and staying at the Presidente. My brother tends to get seasick so I am looking for info on how long it takes to get to the dive sites and whether the water is fairly choppy.

Thanks!

The water is normally pretty calm in September provided there is not a storm in the western Caribe. The time depends on the boat.
A fast boat like the ones used by Tres Pelicanos (shameless plug:yeahbaby:) do the trip in about 15 minutes, large slow boats can take 30 -45 minutes. Any operator can do pick ups at the El Presidente pier as it is adjacent to the Marina Fonatur

All 8 of our boats are fast and take about 15-20 minutes depending on the dive site. Water tends to be pretty calm in September which I believe is among the best months for diving Cozumel.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Thanks for the help. I think 20 minutes would even be too long for him. (He's been spoiled diving in Roatan with 5 minute boat trips.)

BTW, we used Tres Pelicanos last May, and I agree they are awesome! (We've heard good things about Aldora as well.)

We are thinking about going to Cozumel in early September and staying at the Presidente. My brother tends to get seasick so I am looking for info on how long it takes to get to the dive sites and whether the water is fairly choppy.

Thanks!

SN...

You don't have to go too far...for too long...in too rough conditions to experience nausea...inner ear/balance/vertigo...exhaust fumes never helps...

Suggest a pre charter anti-nausea protocol...Dramamine/patches or others...

I've been on 3/4 hour runs to the NC Atlantic wrecks...two anti nausea pills the night before...two with breakfast pre boarding...no nausea...no matter how rough...works for me...and you can sleep like a baby on the run back...your brother's conditions may be different...

Also suggest late night partying/drinking curtailed...pre morning charter...

Best...

Warren

My wife uses ginger (candied) and peppermint to stave off seasickness. It worked well for her on a long ferry ride to Capri in choppy seas.

Pepcid AC in the AM reduces the acid in your stomach. I usually eat a Cochintia Torta with extra Habanero sauce for breakfast before diving in Cozumel and the acid blocker helps prevent fish feeding episodes at depth. With a fast boat there is very little rolling about in transit.

Might look into southern AIs (if you don't already have rezzies). Not my choice (others enjoy them), but if length of boat ride is your primary concern, it's an option. Have fun. :)

Thanks for the help. I think 20 minutes would even be too long for him. (He's been spoiled diving in Roatan with 5 minute boat trips.)

BTW, we used Tres Pelicanos last May, and I agree they are awesome! (We've heard good things about Aldora as well.)
As @AdivingBel said, your best option would be to stay down south at one of the all-inclusives, like Iberostar. They are only 5 minutes or so from the dive sites. Might be best bet for your brother.

hyoscine hydrobromide

Back
Top Bottom