Length of boat ride to dive sites and surface conditions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Agree with @AdivingBel and @Trailboss123

Haven't stayed at the Iberostar or Allegro, but have been diving with Dressel and ProDive, the onsite dive ops of those AI's. As the marine park is right there, great dive sites are too!

FYI hyoscine hydrobromide is also known as scopolamine. It is available as a prescription skin patch you wear behind your ear. The patches are good for 3 days. I don't usually have a problem with motion sickness, but I'll wear a patch in anticipation of a long ride in rough seas. Again, if I'm expecting trouble I'll also take a non-drowsy motion-sickness pill such as Meclizine.

The patch + pill seems to have worked even on a 10 hour, very rough trip. Of course, I can't be sure if I would have gotten nauseous without the patch and pill.

BTW, meclazine is over the counter in Mexico.

Meclizine is over the counter here, too.

IS that the same thing as Bonine? I thought you needed a prescription for Bonine in the USA. I guess I was wrong.

IS that the same thing as Bonine? I thought you needed a prescription for Bonine in the USA. I guess I was wrong.

Yes, same medication. It is an OTC. No script needed. I always grab some for the liveaboard trips.

I would also recommend Iberostar if the trip from Presidente is too far. I have stayed there before and I would go back. While it is not the Presidente, it is a nice resort, nice beach, plenty of fish at their pier to investigate. If the food isnt too your liking, you always have Albertos next door for dinner.

While it might be 10-15 minutes tops, its usually a smooth ride on the smaller boats. They cut the waves pretty good. I have never felt queasy on any ride, not even when I stayed close to town.

I use the patch + bonine for every boat ride. One tip about the patch - after applying it put some tape over it. The tape will keep it on your neck - I would find it gone after a 2 tank dive. Also I think it stops the medicine from leaking into the sea. I use a white tape from Johnson & Johnson - I think it’s called athletic tape.

The 2 drug cocktail works for me as long as I am careful and watch the horizon.

I am glad that I'm never bothered by motion sickness, or hardly ever. Ask those who are about this, but I think the fast, bouncy boats are easier to deal with even on rough days than the slow, swaying ones. I think the slow, swaying boats give you time to be bothered by the uneasy movements, while the fast, bouncy rides get you to deal with it better.

Yep, but cheaper in generic. An antihistamine.

the patch
That's not at all the same. If you're going to try that, you may want to try it on land first and see how you react.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom