Fire on safari boat Suzana in Egypt (Red Sea Aggressor)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

After having been on Aggressor boats 4 times, for 5 weeks, I'm extremely disappointed that they have not released a single detail of this accident. My opinion of Aggressor is shifting, nothing to do with the boats I have been on. Why wouldn't you disclose this unfortunate event and provide details?

I was on that boat 3? years ago. Everyone aboard before us had been very ill with a flu and some had had to leave early. Even one of the senior expat dive crew had only just returned and he was still sickish. About 50% of my group also became sick at varying degrees of severity. I was one of the first. Despite that I believe that my flu was contracted before coming aboard, in my opinion that boat should have been scrubbed down from top to bottom, because it was a sick ship. I spent many hours in our cabin and because of that discovered that flu germs aside, the room was actually filthy.

I hadn't been keen on Aggressor boats before that; now much much less so.

My wife and I were on the RSA1 in June 2019. I thought the crew was extremely attentive, the food good, and the boat was just a little run-down, but nothing significant. We stayed as we usually do in one of the upper cabins, and were very happy with the boat and the crew. We have been on many Aggressor boats (Galapagos, RSA1, RSA2, Belize, Turks, Raja Ampat, Komodo National Park, Palau) and have always had a consistent and good experience. We will continue to use them. Its like not flying on Lion Air because a plane crashed. My heart goes out to the poor woman who died, and the hard-working crew, who were wonderful to us.

My wife and I were on the RSA1 in June 2019. I thought the crew was extremely attentive, the food good, and the boat was just a little run-down, but nothing significant. We stayed as we usually do in one of the upper cabins, and were very happy with the boat and the crew. We have been on many Aggressor boats (Galapagos, RSA1, RSA2, Belize, Turks, Raja Ampat, Komodo National Park, Palau) and have always had a consistent and good experience. We will continue to use them. Its like not flying on Lion Air because a plane crashed. My heart goes out to the poor woman who died, and the hard-working crew, who were wonderful to us.
I'm sure the local crews work hard to please the tipping customers. That pales in comparison to the poor approach of the company to prevent tragedies or how they deal with one they have now. The vessel owners are filing insurance claims, and the booking company is cutting losses.

Working CO & Smoke alarms are cheap, but you need to take your own it seems, and I hope that you do. Requiring an active crew member always on fire watch is possible, but this boat and the one in California that burned recently didn't bother. That's inexcusable.

As Barb mentioned, that one is no longer available. First Alert & Kidde are the leading brands in the industry, there are some working to prove themselves and their products, and there are many making claims about their unproven products. The shopping field is wide open.

It says discontinued. Ideally, if there is a CO and smoke combined detector that is reliable, that would be best.
Yes, both are important, whichever gives the earliest alarm giving the best chance of escape & survival. First Alert does offer this model for $34 along with others. First Alert SCO5CN Battery Operated Combination Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarm | First Alert Store

Resellers will often offer it for less than the manufacturer, so shop around if you like it.

Other worse things aside, it boggles my mind that anyone at Aggressor thought it a good idea to provide the surviving guests a discount coupon for a return trip.

But you'll likely continue driving. You'll likely continue crossing streets. You'll probably continue to get on an airplane. You are 10 times more likely to die in a fall than you are in a fire (let alone a fire on a dive boat). So will you stop standing up so you're "safer"?

Ken

If it is true that in this latest incident that the whole crew was asleep then (IMO) the entire worldwide fleet of liveaboards should be grounded (or is that docked).
It is inconceivable that the crew hadn't heard of the Conception fire and why it happened. If that wasn't enough to get them to have one crew member awake at all times, then why would anyone trust any crew to be taking safety seriously.
How many more incidents/deaths will it take until regulators require a deadman switch or the like.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom