Did diving put me in the ER?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had what turned out to be gangrenous cholesticytis while in Indonesia. 30 hour emergency flight back to the USA where the surgeon had to punch six abdominal holes to extract the remnants of my gallbladder. I’ll see yours and raise you pot!

Thanks all. :) I'm a week out now, still forcing myself to sit on my butt more than anything although it's been hard. My workouts so far have consisted of 15 minutes walking on a treadmill at a slow speed or a 1/4 mile walk around my neighborhood. I haven't lifted anything more than a few pounds, except today I did move a tank about 2 feet to get it out of my way (and then told my daughter "don't tell your mom I did that"). No strain, no pain. If I stretch I feel the incisions, sometimes a tiny bit tender but for the most part I'm doing good. I do get tired really easy still. It's getting better but I can't wait for that to pass.

I am going to keep on the slow and easy route. I'm trying hard to stick to the rules, it's just not in my nature to ask someone else to pick something up for me so its hard :) I have my surgeon followup this coming tuesday. He told me to stay out of the water for at least 2 weeks, I don't think he realizes that doesn't work with not lifting more than 10 pounds. :) I'm guessing a couple months before I get the all clear for the weight.

I'd like to have patients like you.
Hang in there, mate!

When I was 4 in 1958 I had what is (was?) called a Perforated Appendix. No rupture, but poison leaking out into my system. Was always crying--no one could figure it out. They removed the appendix and apparently told my parents there were only 3 previous known cases in the county, 2 of whom died. So I raised the % to 50% for the next victim. Not dive- related, but I imagine had I been diving it wouldn't have made any difference.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom