Did diving put me in the ER?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nathan Doty

Contributor
Reaction score
I know the answer is no, but story tim . And I'm morphine right no w si excuse the typos.

I haven't felt good for some time. I went c snorkeling in the key's, felt sick that night and canceled the days dive.

As few c weeks ago. Shallow dive, wake up puking.

On the 24th we dive to 60 chasing bugs. That night. Wake up with a sore stomach, make myself puke Every day y since my stomach just hurts all the time.

Last night about 10, it gets noticeably worse. Manage to fall asleep 12ish. No puking. About 2 I wake up even n worse, no sleeping. Pain starts getting real bad lower right. My gut says appendix. And it just keeps getting worse. I'd planned on waiting until everyone is up abs driving myself to the dr. By 6, that's not an option and I wake up my wife.

So long c story, appendix burst, waiting to get wheeled took the or now.

No looking at the ccx symptoms for chronic appendicitis, it's probably been dying for months, maybe longer. But every dive I got noticeable worse. I wonder if the pressure took a chronic issue and made it an emergency issue.

This, hurts. A lot. But if I recover and thff en getting beg overall, pain might be worth it. I still want it to stop. This sucks. Ive been here 12 hours, still 2 or 3 away from surgery.

I wonder if the pressure took a chronic issue and made it an emergency issue.

Probably didn't make it any better, any added stress to a medical issue is never good.

As I get older I've found waiting to find out what a new symptom turns into has been very counterproductive, for your consideration later.

Get better

Bob

Very unlikely that diving made your condition worse. No association that I'm aware of.
Don't beat yourself up about diving with it. Maybe beat yourself up about ignoring it for so long. This may take awhile to recover from. Patience...

Good luck!
Our best wishes go with you to the OR!

Diving Doc

Get well, recover completely, rest and enjoy life. When recovered, you can evaluate all the stuff about diving. But that I said not important now. Relax and recover well.

SeaRat

Morphine and spelling do not play well together do they? :)

I was discharged this evening and besides a little pain, I feel pretty darn good. It was a long day, got to the ER about 6, DX by 10 and scheduled for surgery by 4. But some more important cases came in and I was repeatedly pushed back. I was finally in preop about 9.

On the downside I got to experience the worst pain I've ever felt. And ive been in some pretty serious pain over the years. On the upside they found it hadn't actually ruptured yet so they could do the surgery by laparoscope. It was gangrenous and been dying for some time but intact.

Everything past getting on the operating table is a total blackout. I woke up this am completely pain free and in general felt better than I can remember. By 10 AM a little pain, handled by tylenol.

Anyway I never connected anything to diving until the dr interviews and actually laying out the timeline. Until now it was basically nausea and not feeling good, nothing remarkable by itself.

I do think it's possible the added pressure was highlighting a problem didn't know I had. Or at least something i was ignoring. But even stoned i didn't think it actually caused anything. The real tipping point might have been the day in general. It was a gym day and I only did half my workout, I felt too bad to finish. It's the first time that's ever happened. I was going to end up in the ER regardless, but that might have been straw that chose the day. As it sits im taking it really easy for a week, another week or 2 of lifting no more than 10 lbs, and then slowly getting back to my normal routine

According to the surgeon everything went well, staff was surprised at my recoup. I luckily always bounce back quickly. The hospital was good, the staff was great. Except they should have taken my phone away after the 2nd dose of morphine :)

Hey, SO glad it wasn't ruptured!!! That's huge! You'll mend quickly. I'm really pleased for you.
But let me play doctor one more time...
It sounds like your workouts are important to you. Keep in mind that while those laparoscopy holes are tiny, they're still holes. And connective tissue (unlike skin), doesn't start regaining real strength until 3-6 weeks! So once your pain is gone, don't give yourself an abdominal wall hernia by lifting more than you should.
Sermon over. :D Welcome back!

Back in my day, walking up stairs was a proscribed no-no for 4 weeks after the operation.
1 week after the operation I was back in school and wasn't permitted to attend classes on the 1st and 2nd floors because of the stairs.
That made me feel really bad, so I went over to a nearby cliff and spent those hours rockclimbing with friends. Had a great time!
The next day it hurt like hell, proving that the doctor wasn't an idiot, but it was worth it.

Michael

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom