Solo cert on Bonaire?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When they recommend backup surface signalling, does that imply two whistles and another safety sausage in addition to my DSMB?
Maybe yes, but more likely a whistle plus something like a dive alert or a PLB or EPIRM or Nautilus LL; and a mirror or dye or even bright-colored fins you can take off and wave.

And for carrying the pony, intuitively it seems like my preference would be mounting it to my primary (vs. slinging it). My BC is a Scubapro Equator and its tank cam buckle is on the right side, so I guess this means the pony would have to attach to the primary behind my left shoulder. Can I expect this to work properly with bringing the pony 2nd stage around from the right to the necklace, and with the pony tank valve's hand-wheel oriented properly away from the primary tank etc.?
You'll probably find that attaching a pony to your tank is a pain in the tail to do, and then undo, and then do, etc. If it is your own primary tank, and you can mount a quick-release, that's different, but on rentals it is not realistic. Most find the slung pony not a problem, easy to do, and it puts the valve and reg 1st stage right in front of you, just in case. You can also hand it off if you need to. Your intuition needs to take into account pragmatism and experience, of yourself as well as of others.

When I took the class and rented the rigged pony from DF, I slung it off 2 d-rings (chest & hip). The 2nd stage and short hose were looped through a bungee (or rubber strapping) so the hose was held snug to the tank with the 2nd stage protruding near the top of the rig. When needed you could easily pull the 2nd stage free for use. I didn't use a necklace. YMMV. Good luck with your class. :)

When I took the class and rented the rigged pony from DF, I slung it off 2 d-rings (chest & hip). The 2nd stage and short hose were looped through a bungee (or rubber strapping) so the hose was held snug to the tank with the 2nd stage protruding near the top of the rig. When needed you could easily pull the 2nd stage free for use. I didn't use a necklace. YMMV. Good luck with your class. :)

AdivingBel I imagine what you describe is how the instructor required the pony to be rigged so I will just be prepared for that sort of setup in the course. Thanks for the tip : )

Because my photo rig is a somewhat larger two-strobe arrangement, I'm wondering how my maneuverability might be affected by having the pony slung more-or-less across my front (or under an arm). I've been wondering about using something like the following:

XSSPBB_4.jpg

This pony bag would remain attached to my BCD (my understanding is the BCD tank straps thread through slits in the bag). It seems to me that if I temporarily take the pony bottle out of the bag after each dive, switching out primary tanks should remain easy. Once the next rental tank is secured, the pony would be put back in the bag and velcroed into place. With this setup I understand that if I needed to access the tank/valve in situ I would need to doff my BCD, so of course I would need to be vigilant about ensuring the valve is open prior to diving; test-breathing through my regs before submerging is something pretty ingrained in me. And I picture using this kind of rigging while solo diving, so being able to hand off to an OOA diver isn't as much of a consideration. It seems to me that this configuration would offer more freedom of movement and better access to my pockets/D-rings etc., is there something I'm overlooking here? Thanks again all.

AdivingBel I imagine what you describe is how the instructor required the pony to be rigged so I will just be prepared for that sort of setup in the course. Thanks for the tip : )

Because my photo rig is a somewhat larger two-strobe arrangement, I'm wondering how my maneuverability might be affected by having the pony slung more-or-less across my front (or under an arm). I've been wondering about using something like the following:

View attachment 532923

This pony bag would remain attached to my BCD (my understanding is the BCD tank straps thread through slits in the bag). It seems to me that if I temporarily take the pony bottle out of the bag after each dive, switching out primary tanks should remain easy. Once the next rental tank is secured, the pony would be put back in the bag and velcroed into place. With this setup I understand that if I needed to access the tank/valve in situ I would need to doff my BCD, so of course I would need to be vigilant about ensuring the valve is open prior to diving; test-breathing through my regs before submerging is something pretty ingrained in me. And I picture using this kind of rigging while solo diving, so being able to hand off to an OOA diver isn't as much of a consideration. It seems to me that this configuration would offer more freedom of movement and better access to my pockets/D-rings etc., is there something I'm overlooking here? Thanks again all.
You've clearly already decided what you are going to do. You better get all three different size pony bags because when you rent the size may vary. And if you rent a 30 or 40 cuft, you're screwed.

You won't have a camera during your class, so that's irrelevant. Later, I think you'll find a slung pony is not a hindrance even with a large camera.

You've clearly already decided what you are going to do. You better get all three different size pony bags because when you rent the size may vary. And if you rent a 30 or 40 cuft, you're screwed.

You won't have a camera during your class, so that's irrelevant. Later, I think you'll find a slung pony is not a hindrance even with a large camera.

I do appreciate the responses. It wasn't my intention to come across as argumentative.

If you put the pony behind you -- no matter how it is attached -- make sure the reg and hose to it are clearly identifiable both by appearance and feel. And think about where the pony's SPG will be....

Sling it from left chest/hip d-rings.

When you're in the water it's kinda Behind your left arm out of the way. When I was young and foolish we slung multiple 80's on both sides and rode scooters. Your camera will be a non-issue.

There's a reason they teach the class with slung bottle.

Consider:

Entanglement
Rats nest of hoses
Failures
Plain ol Pita to swap tanks

Oops, sorry.

Just read some more, and it may be that your BC doesn't have d-rings.

Ignore my mounting blahblah.

Still, think about the "consider"s

Oops, sorry.

Just read some more, and it may be that your BC doesn't have d-rings.

Ignore my mounting blahblah.

Still, think about the "consider"s
His BCD (Scubapro Equator) has lots of D-rings, but the lower ones are below the weight pockets and so not quite where you'd like them for a slung pony.....at the side at the waist is preferable to hold the bottom of the pony farther back. But it'll do.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom