Solo cert on Bonaire?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

morty343

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello, I'm thinking about heading to Bonaire in Sept as a single traveler and am considering getting my solo diver certification while there. I've been OW certified since '94 (SSI) and have around 200 logged, ~70 of which are in the last 3 years. I recently got my AOW via PADI (now that more places are requiring it for some dives). I consider myself a capable, conscientious diver and I enjoy photography. I dove solo once on Cap'n Don's house reef there in '16 and liked how I was able to spend more time on photos without worrying about boring a buddy. (Thus the desire to get the solo cert.) A couple questions:

- I've read that SDI's "solo diver" has more universal acceptance than PADI's "self-reliant diver". Is this true and if yes, to what extent?
- I've also read that some shops will hesitate to fill pony tanks vs. other shops esp. if the diver can't produce a solo cert card. Can I expect this out of any of the Dive Friends Bonaire locations? I'm confident in my ability to safely dive within my limits prior to getting the cert, and may want to do a couple solo dives if my cert dives can't be scheduled right at the start of the trip.

Thanks -

Dive friends has filled my pony without asking for a card. I currently fill it myself from their tanks as I have a H2Odyssey valve/1st stage combo with the yolk fill adapter. I had a station fill adapter but sold it because I hardly ever used it.

Not sure Dive Friends offer SDI Solo, though they might. I prefer SDI for two reasons. First, it is a SOLO cert, not "self-reliant". Second, SDI AOW requires a heck of a lot more than the PADI "do a few adventure dives" and you qualify as advanced. I have a lot more faith in SDI.

I would contact them. I've always gotten quick responses from them.

to answer your question, yes sdi s more recognized as a solo cert ...I teach both but never asked for the self reliant without a sdi course too

Not sure Dive Friends offer SDI Solo, though they might. I prefer SDI for two reasons. First, it is a SOLO cert, not "self-reliant".

I did my solo cert with Dive Friends. Mine is a PADI cert that was taught from the SDI manual. At that time PADI didn't have their literature for their solo cert fully distributed. It's the same course. As with most recreational scuba courses, the quality of the instructor is far more important than the agency. The DF instructor was excellent and it was a good class. I've never had an op question my self-reliant cert. I understand there is some quarry somewhere?? that makes a distinction (according to an SB post), but that's not an issue for me. All IMHO, YMMV. Headed back this spring. Gotta luv "dive freedom." :)

I did my Self-Reliant cert through Dive Friends Bonaire. I would highly recommend the course and I would recommend them. I did the course after having over 1,000 dives and working for years as a Divemaster. I got a ton out of it and was sufficiently challenged. As with most training, the instructor is going to make a huge difference in the quality of the experience. My instructor was Jeffrey, who is the Dive Inn manager. He is former Dutch special forces. I don't think he certified anyone in the self-reliant course at my experience level before and he made sure to put me through my paces.

SDI came up with the Solo certification first and thus has the advantage of having the word "solo" in the name of the certification, which probably is helpful in some locales. PADI came along after and patterned their curriculum after the SDI curriculum. Not wanting to name or brand it too similarly, they opted for the "Self-Reliant" moniker. I think most dive operators these days understand that the curriculum and skills taught are very similar - again, the Instructor is clearly going to make a difference in terms of how that curriculum and corresponding water skills are taught and implemented.

I teach both courses and its not that they vary much ...its that boat captains and LOB don't take them as equal , its their operation, they can think what ever they want .......AND ITS ALWAYS about the instructor !!!

Also, prior to getting my self-reliant cert, I have in the past rented a pony from the SDI shop at Captain Don's. They did not question me or ask for any proof of certification. I think they just saw it as a tank rental and redundancy. I will be down in Bonaire the entire month of August. I will be diving with buddies the first 2 weeks, but will be solo the last two weeks. I will be renting a pony from Dive Friends for those last 2 weeks.

I just checked my cert card and +1 for Jeffrey. He'll really put you through your paces and make you "stay calm & think." :shocked::)

its that boat captains and LOB don't take them as equal

I can only go by my experience (N=1), but I've never had it happen on the LOBs or day boats I've used. Maybe it will someday, who knows. The captains I've met couldn't give a sh!@ about agency squabbles. It's much like how some folks can't get passed that the A in AOW isn't intended to mean you're an advanced diver, it's just the next level (advanced) cert beyond OW. It amazes me how often that is brought up in SB posts along with the mystical 9 dive AOW diver. IMHO, it's all pretty silly then again I don't make a living at it.:) Again all IMHO, YMMV.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom