I've narrowed my Reg choices down...help me decide.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shurite7, So, If I buy the Apeks from the UK, I will lose my warranty,

At the moment I don't have an answer for this question. As for servicing, any Aqualung / Apeks service center in the US shoudbe able to service the reg or at least send it to another dive shop that can, which can do as well.

I have people telling me Scubapro, Apeks, DGX ect.

Of course. Everyone has a bias towards his or her own gear. Each person will try to get you to buy the brand they purchased. If you have 10 people show you their reg you'll get at least one, maybe a couple, of positive reviews about each reg. You'll also get several (not necessarily negative) comments for each reg as to why the others would not buy it.

The reality is, most people don't get to try out different brands let alone different models of each brand. This I was able to do when I took my tech course. My instructor had several sets of gear, each a different brand or model. We were required to use each one at least once before buying. This is one of the factors (there were a couple of others) that helped me determine which set of regs to go with.

Some prefer to have their gear serviced locally which determines which brand they purchase. Many don't even take that into consideration. I noticed you live in FL. Getting a reg serviced shouldn't be overly difficult for you.

Never had an issues getting my Apeks regs serviced as others have said any Agualung dealer can gets the parts and service them. Apeks are pretty common on the west coast of the US but it may help that aqualung is based out of Southern California.

Shurite7, So, If I buy the Apeks from the UK, I will lose my warranty, But there are service centers that will service it for me? Sorry for all the questions but I have been out of the game so long I'm lost. I have people telling me Scubapro, Apeks, DGX ect. I'm sure they are all good I just want to have dependable gear that I can use for years.

Just to reassure you, I've bought quite a bit over the years from Dirdirect and their physical shop, Underwater Explorers in Dorset, and they're a good outfit. Well respected in the UK tech scene.

From a practical point of view, it will most likely be difficult to find a dealer who can/is willing to service the DGX brand octos when it is time to service them..

Not really an issue for someone in the US. You just mail your regs to a good shop (the top shop in Washington state is probably Octopus Gardens in Port Townsend). That's one trip to the post office, and then you don't have to pick them up. Super easy.

Not really an issue for someone in the US. You just mail your regs to a good shop (the top shop in Washington state is probably Octopus Gardens in Port Townsend). That's one trip to the post office, and then you don't have to pick them up. Super easy.

You are missing the point, DGX equipment is a house brand for DGX, hardly anyone other than DGX service them.

You are missing the point, DGX equipment is a house brand for DGX, hardly anyone other than DGX service them.
I think you missed the point Burhan. It is all about dropping your regs in the mail. If it goes to another state, not a big deal.

Based on all the feedback and recommendations that I have gotten from you all, I am now (as soon as they arrive) the proud owner of a Scubapro MK17/ S600/ R195 reg set!! I am very excited to get them in the water. I should do 3-4 dives in the next couple of weeks so thanks again, everyone!!!

Back
Top Bottom