I've narrowed my Reg choices down...help me decide.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ken-Tac

Registered
Reaction score
OK, after a lot of searching/ studying I have narrowed my choices down to the following:

ScubaPro MK17/ S600
ScubaPro MK17/ G260
Apeks XTX50/ DST

Unless I can find complete setups that come with matching octos, I will most likely use DGX second stages as the octos. So, what are your thought/ suggestions?

I will more than likely only be diving Florida springs, and wrecks/ reefs off the coast up to the Carolinas. So really nothing 50 degrees or under for a while. I just want durable and reliable gear. What should I choose?

Thank you guys!!

The G260 is going to breathe better than the S600. In practice though, you'd be hard-pressed to notice the difference. If you've got a better price on the S600, I wouldn't hesitate to buy that one.

my choices would be in the order you listed.

Agree!

I will most likely use DGX second stages as the octos. So, what are your thought/ suggestions?

From a practical point of view, it will most likely be difficult to find a dealer who can/is willing to service the DGX brand octos when it is time to service them. From my experience with own regulator sets with different brand components, it is a headache to manage the process of servicing them and trying to find service centers who can do the service for all of the brands under the same roof. I ended up having to send the octo to different service center from the service center that handled the main regulator. This was an issue when the octos arrived set a different IP pressure from the one they were adjust with during service. I suggest that you keep it simple and save yourself from the headaches that come later when it is time to service them, buy the same brand octo as the brand for the main regulator.

Are you looking at used or new? I only ask because there were a few (older) years of S600 where the air barrel is plastic and they had some issues with over-torquing. Other than that, I would be happy with any of the ones you listed. It looks like the exhaust on the XTX50 is a bit wider than the S600 or G260, but my S600 doesn't bother me with bubbles now that I am diving a bit more horizontal, so I don't know if that is a benefit to you or not.

As a note on metal air barrels, some say that they help humidify the air you are breathing, but it is hard for me to figure out how they might do that given the air goes pretty much directly from the air barrel to the mouthpiece without spending much time hanging out and gathering up moisture that may have condensed on the air barrel. I just like metal.

BurhanMuntasser brings up a very significant point above. The advice is well worth taking into consideration.

A more accurate comparison to the Mk17/G260 is Apek's FSR/XTX200 rather than the DST/XTX50.

Any on your list will serve you well but my personal choice is the Apeks. I've been diving the XTX50 for a few years now and love it I have much more expensive regulators but keep coming back to the Apeks good price point breathes good and the hose routing fits my set up well. Also it is a very rugged regulator.

I use S600 for my single setup and XTX50 for my twins. I honestly can't fault either.

Thank you everyone! With all the great feedback I have gotten, I am leaning towards the Scubapro MK17/ S600 along with the Scubapro R195 octo. Burhan made a suggestion that I agree with to have the octo match the regs. I am hoping this is a great setup that will get me in the water a lot and do me until I advance. Do you all agree? You guys are a lot more knowledgeable than I am! I have been out of the game for 15 years and just now getting back into diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom