Question Comparing ScubaPro Mk2 EVO/R195 to Atomic Aquatics Z2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have both regulators in our dive school's equipment fleet and the Z2 is SUPERIOR in terms of performance. I'd get the Z2 with a sealed first stage.

I can't believe that the Z2 is less money than the MK2/R195 but I know that the price of the MK2/R195 has gotten much more expensive than it used to be to the point where it isn't a good value anymore at all. It is actually very close, or more, than the MK11/C370 in price. It just doesn't make sense to me at all. The only thing to explain the increased price is perhaps SP wants to drive people away from the MK2/R195 to the MK11/C370 by increasing the price of the MK2/R195.

Many thanks for the quick replies and AL Titan suggestion. One of my worries was whether there was a parallel to the auto industry with a reliable, only ever goes in for scheduled maintenance, Japanese marque and higher performance, fun to drive German marque that won't leave you stranded but is always in for an expensive service of some type. I didn't hear any concerns with the Z2. Now to find a BCD.

Regulators are simple devices. Don't fear what has been recommended. Those that have commented are giving you good suggestions with solid experiences.

Look for a nice BP/W single tank such as DGX for a reasonable price

Many thanks for the quick replies and AL Titan suggestion. One of my worries was whether there was a parallel to the auto industry with a reliable, only ever goes in for scheduled maintenance, Japanese marque and higher performance, fun to drive German marque that won't leave you stranded but is always in for an expensive service of some type. I didn't hear any concerns with the Z2. Now to find a BCD.
Generally service is pretty much standard across the many brands. Most shops have a per stage labor cost. Parts would be extra, but generally fairly comparable across the brands. The exception would be environmentally sealed piston regulator. The lube used for many adds a bit to the cost.

Good choice on the Atomic. I dive Zeagles as my personal reg (now made in AA factory), but also dive Atomics fairly regularly. Solid regulators.

Which one? And why?
I’ve got several. An early 2000 DS-IV/V, a Flathead 7, and an Onyx. I got the DS back when they were made locally. Many of the local divers in my area were using and recommended them. I liked it and stuck with the brand as I added divers to the family.

All three are environmentally sealed, easy to maintain. They all use the same service kits, which is good to avoid obsolescence. All three have the Atomic introduced upgrades. Onyx and FH had the upgrade done at the factory, the DS was done during a service.

They breathe great and seem (anecdotally) more reliable than my buddies’ regs. Two of my usual buddies have had some sort of issue before or during a dive. Mine have been flawless. I’m certain that at least one of those was due to a servicing problem, not necessarily the brand.

I’ve got several. An early 2000 DS-IV/V, a Flathead 7, and an Onyx. I got the DS back when they were made locally. Many of the local divers in my area were using and recommended them. I liked it and stuck with the brand as I added divers to the family.

All three are environmentally sealed, easy to maintain. They all use the same service kits, which is good to avoid obsolescence. All three have the Atomic introduced upgrades. Onyx and FH had the upgrade done at the factory, the DS was done during a service.

They breathe great and seem (anecdotally) more reliable than my buddies’ regs. Two of my usual buddies have had some sort of issue before or during a dive. Mine have been flawless. I’m certain that at least one of those was due to a servicing problem, not necessarily the brand.

The F8 looks very interesting especially since the second stage is an AA SS. The ONYX II is also interesting. My issue is that their prices are head to head with AA regulators. For me, for the same amount of money, I'd rather buy AA regulator with all of its features and performance. What do you think?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom