Best Hotel for Non-Diver Friends

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know that the crime rate in Cozumel is low, but I have always preferred hotels with 24 hour desks at least. I know that Airnb is taking over rentals, but if my toilet stops up during the night, I want to speak to someone face to face then & there.

As far as the original question, I'd have to ask why are the non-divers coming to Cozumel instead of the peninsula, other than coming with friends, and what do they like & want?

As far as the original question, I'd have to ask why are the non-divers coming to Cozumel instead of the peninsula, other than coming with friends, and what do they like & want?

I went to Cozumel several times before I became a diver. My parents started going there in the 1970's for the fishing, and it evolved into a larger vacation.

I went to Cozumel several times before I became a diver. My parents started going there in the 1970's for the fishing, and it evolved into a larger vacation.
I don't mean to fault any non-diver for wanting to visit. My daughter & son-in-law were there Valentine's weekend as part of their cruise. Their thing I don't share in, but they did take some of my suggestions on seeing more of the island than the cooking class & beach they have done twice before.

I'd just like to know their reasons & interests. If they like fishing, great. I'd be as bored on a fishing boat as on a cruise boat, that is - very. Different strokes for different folks.

I'd need more info before making any suggestions. I've stayed at a few resorts which have more to offer than a hotel (which is what was asked about) but I suspect a resort will be a better fit. Is all inclusive important? How about a long sandy beach vs an area with decent snorkeling? On site dive op? Lots of variables.

Miramar and Cantamar condos are beautiful and located on the ocean in the north end not so far from Villa Aldora. Both have 1 bedroom units and have managment companies that can handle any problems quickly. They both have great snorkeling and nice pools. Hotel B and The Coral Princess have great oceanfront locations with a restaurant and a bar. Hotel B is getting an addition. I was there in January and it was not finnished. FWIW, when I travel with my husband we prefer the condo option over a hotel. Its more private, larger and has a kitchen with a fridge. Hope your friends find something that makes yhem happy!

This will be my 4th trip to Coz with non-diving buddies. I have stayed at Iberostar, Secrets and Sabor in different order. We are going back to Sabor this time. I would recommend any of the three, with Secrets being the No. 1 choice. My buddies voted cheapest this trip. Your friends will have plenty to do at any location, and the beaches at both stops are very nice (which is one of my main priorities).

I think it is fair to say that everyone has different tastes and different priorities. For me, personally, I am usually traveling solo, and the biggest draws that Cozumel has for me are: (1) the diving, (2) the dining, and (3) the incredibly friendly local people. Since most of my favorite dining options are downtown, I like to stay in or near downtown (though “near” is a relative term; I really don’t mind long walks, so Casa Del Mar is close enough for me to walk when I feel like it, and cheap enough to take a cab ride back when I don’t). Also, since I love the really good and varied restaurant options in Cozumel, I refuse to do All-Inclusive. Laying on a beach building a good sunburn has no attraction for me, so I would never go to the way-South AI resorts just because they had a natural beach. If I want to spend some time on a non-diving afternoon, I’d much rather wander the little local shops and markets looking for good deals on Mexican specialties, like a molcajete, a hand-woven hammock, Mexican chocolate or vanilla, or some more Talavera hand-painted Mexican pottery than spend it on a beach.

But I understand that other people have different tastes and different priorities, so it’s really difficult to make a recommendation without knowing just what these people want. Are they foodies that would enjoy all the variety that Cozumel can offer, or will they be satified with whatever the AI resort’s restaurant is serving? Are they beach people who want to just lay back and relax, or are they looking for more active entertainment, taking tours of the East Side, the Mayan Ruins, the Chocolate Factory or the Tequila Tasting? Do they want to snorkel? Deep sea fishing? Play golf? These and more questions need to be answered before you can figure out the best options for them.

I think for most of us, the beach is where we go to board the boat. Some people really do like long walks on beaches.

Depends a lot on what exactly you are looking for. The gambit is quite wide, from condos & houses to small hotel/resorts to the larger AI's. (don't do AI's :D ) AND how far out of town do you want to be?

Our vacation home for over a dozen years has been Blue Angel Resort. It is good for both divers (of course) and non-divers.

Much like Vila Aldora, a quaint, small, "homey" feeling property. 4 stories, 22 rooms.

No too far out of town, just at a mile. An nice casual walk, or (i think) about $5-6 cab ride. Nice pool, great restaurant (free breakfast with stay), The pool is usually dead until the divers return around 1pm(ish), and usually even then, not very crowded.

Big, spacious rooms, all facing the ocean & pool area. Safes and mini fridges in all rooms. Water coolers at then end of every "hallway" for guests to have fresh drinking water.

For the divers in the group, if you are not using BA, most dive ops will pick up at their pier. If not, again, i would imagine about $5-6 cab ride to the caletta/new harbor.

Back
Top Bottom