Carry On Only

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As someone living in Europe, that's the reason I pull the stuff I can wear out of my bag before going through the checks and putting it on, afterwards I can just pack them back down.
Never seen anyone have their carry on measured or weighed when entering the plane.
You must not have stopped in the UK then. I have seen it on many budget airlines. The likes of Ryan Air.

I have seen it in France as well.

You must not have stopped in the UK then. I have seen it on many budget airlines. The likes of Ryan Air.

I have seen it in France as well.

Nah I've never been in the UK, also never heard anything good about the airlines you got over there :D

Nah I've never been in the UK, also never heard anything good about the airlines you got over there :D
Don’t fly Ryan Air, it’s just not worth it :)

Don’t fly Ryan Air, it’s just not worth it :)

Thats kind of what I was hinting at haha, I'll forever stay away from them :D
Love me some Norweigan, the charge for and extra 20kg bag is basically nothing and I've never been dissapointed in anything with them :)

Just a couple of observations re US and Canadian airlines.
--I only once had to check my carry-on, but that was a very small plane and everyone had to check theirs. Yet almost every flight I've been on (well, at least the last 5-10 years with all the checked baggage fees now) they asked if anyone would like to check their carry on "because the PLANE IS FULL--and it's FREE"----well golly gee. And, isn't there supposed to be enough space on the plane for carry ons even if the plane is full?
--I have yet to see anyone be denied taking on a carry on because it may not fit in those measuring devices. Almost ALL of the nowadays common carry ons (you know, with the wheels, etc.) look a Hell of a lot bigger (especially fatter) than those skinny measuring devices.

Some of the UK airlines will use this to charge you:
EasyJet - Hand luggage too big at the gate? - MoneySavingExpert.com Forums

The budget UK airlines will charge you for everything: food, drinks, even boarding before the other passengers, having a bigger cabin luggage, or having the seats with more leg room.

You won’t be denied boarding but will have to pay the same fee than for a much larger checked in luggage.

We were able to travel with two Sealife cameras and all our gear as carry-on once - but it was tough. We used really large backpacks and I was stuck using my ScubaPro Jets (heavy but short when your foot size is 7). My husband has Force Fins (conveniently short). We both were using the Aqualung Zumas which are lightweight and pack small. It can be done.

@2airishuman mentioned that you might find tighter restrictions on international flights. It's a very good point. We've been on small aircraft that couldn't accommodate our normal carry-on and had to check them. So be prepared for that possibility.

We always just "carry on" 5mm wet suit, Aqua Lung Hot Shot fins, Zuma BCD, mask, booties, cap, regulator, Sea and Sea strobe, Canon S100 camera and case, toiletries and here is the important part, minimal clothes. With carry on and Global Entry you can fly through customs like a rock star.

I'm getting ready for a trip to Bali and from what I've seen re carry on size and weight limits, I don't think you have any hope carrying all that on. Good luck though.

I never check bags unless absolutely necessary. I have always managed to cram all of my dive gear into a carry-on. For reference, I use an Osprey Porter 46 travel backpack. It has fit into the overhead compartment of every aircraft I have been on, both domestic and international flights. I can fit my Scubapro Hydros Pro BCD, a 3mm full wetsuit, booties (I use low-cut Mares Equator booties for tropical diving, so they are small and rather flexible), my mask (no box - just wrap it carefully in a rashguard), regs, primary and backup dive lights, GoPro, a rolled-up dry bag for the boat, and two pairs of boardshorts and a couple of t-shirts. The backpack has two horizontal cinch straps that go across the front of the bag, and I use them to lash my fins to the outside of the bag. I also have a lightweight mesh bag that I roll up and cram inside. I've never had a gate agent give my bag a second glance, but in the off-chance that I get flagged to gate check my bag, I can use the mesh bag to offload my fins, regs, mask, and whatever other fragile equipment I would rather carry-on. My computer is a watch-size, so I just wear that. Depending on the size of your camera equipment, you could perhaps pack that in a small hand-held case that would count as your personal item.

There are times when I think that it would be easier to check most of my gear and just carry a small bag with my regs onboard, but then inevitably I get to my destination and find that one of my dive buddies had their gear delayed. So I just deal with hauling my backpack through airports and connections.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom