Buddy Dive - Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We were at Buddy in October. WiFi seems to be best while everyone is out diving, not perfect at night. If I had work to do on WiFi Buddy would be as good as anywhere else on the island.

For me a lack of WiFi is a selling point on vacation. I hope when I get to Truk in June the WiFi is down 90% of the time.

I was at Buddy last week. They have done a lot of upgrading over the last few years, the grounds are looking good and at least the rooms I saw were clean and maintained.
. As for the Wifi, it did not work well some evening and mornings HOWEVER and this is important, the Wifi signal was good to excellent all the time, everywhere I was on site with either my lap top or phone. In my room, in the bar and by the pool. There are multiple reasons the internet does not work, it could be the access point on site, the connection between the resort and their provider and lets not forget Bonaire is a small island so it's transport off island is very likely not that robust. With lots of tourist and locals alike on the internet in the morning and evening, slowdowns are very likely. Bottom line, just because your internet does not work does not mean it is the fault of the resort, there are a lot of links in the chain.

Herman, when we were there, we had fantastic WiFi coverage with zero bandwidth. Adding transmitters with no underlying connectivity is useless. That’s like adding many faucets with no water pressure.

Like you, I have no idea where the problem is but unlike you, I’m not willing to simply hand this off to an island ‘transport’ infrastructure issue. There is generally no problem with getting decent IP in Bonaire.

IP is important to me. Until I see adequate proof of decent and consistent throughput at Buddy, I’ll go elsewhere.

I was at Buddy last week. They have done a lot of upgrading over the last few years, the grounds are looking good and at least the rooms I saw were clean and maintained.
. As for the Wifi, it did not work well some evening and mornings HOWEVER and this is important, the Wifi signal was good to excellent all the time, everywhere I was on site with either my lap top or phone. In my room, in the bar and by the pool. There are multiple reasons the internet does not work, it could be the access point on site, the connection between the resort and their provider and lets not forget Bonaire is a small island so it's transport off island is very likely not that robust. With lots of tourist and locals alike on the internet in the morning and evening, slowdowns are very likely. Bottom line, just because your internet does not work does not mean it is the fault of the resort, there are a lot of links in the chain.

Last edited:
Have a great trip and enjoy the house reef.

Great wifi in Den Laman. Everything has been new and upscale in the three different units that we have been in. The dock is still controlled. It has been updated and improved by dive friends since bda left.

Just returned this weekend. We were in building 400 again, which is the building farthest south on the property. Wi-fi worked fine. A few hiccups and some slowdowns - but I didn't have to re-sign in once (my previous trip I was re-signing in all week)

We have always stayed in condos so not necessarily recommending it. Just throwing it out there. I like the location and the smaller feel then the larger dive resorts. It is a Buddy Dive property with small dive shop on site and offers the same dive and drive packages. Still no a/c in living room.

Welcome to Belmar Bonaire - Belmar Bonaire

Thanks for the recommendation. We’re going back in June. We normally stay at the Courtyard because I have lots of points. Looking at doing something different. We were considering Buddy’s until you made this recommendation. Now I’m thinking this may be more our speed, a little more low key if you will. Everyone is mentioning the air in the BR. This concerns me a little. It’s pretty hot in Bonaire and I really don’t like to be hot where I’m lodging. Is the air conditioner in the Bedroom enough to keep the whole place relatively cool or is it hot in the other rooms? Thanks in advance.

Everyone is mentioning the air in the BR. This concerns me a little. It’s pretty hot in Bonaire and I really don’t like to be hot where I’m lodging. Is the air conditioner in the Bedroom enough to keep the whole place relatively cool or is it hot in the other rooms? Thanks in advance.
Disclaimer: My comments below are general observations after 22 years of enjoying Bonaire, and are not specific to Buddy Dive or Belmar.

Bedroom airco is usually sized to cool the bedroom only, and is primarily intended to be used only while sleeping at night. Oversizing the wall-mount units to cool additional living space is expensive for owners to purchase and operate, and is also inefficient vs. dedicated airco in each room. Additionally, the aluminum coils and fins on an over-sized unit will usually freeze up when cooling an undersized space (same as with central airco.)

It's fairly common for tourists from colder climes to try to use bedroom airco to cool the whole villa, and to leave it running during the day in a usually futile attempt to make up for the insufficient cooling capacity. Electricity on Bonaire costs several times what we pay in the USA so it's also fairly common for guests to be charged a surcharge for excess consumption of electricity beyond what is deemed "normal" by the property owner. If not already clear in the rental contract it's best to inquire about this in advance with your property rental company, rather than be surprised with it later.

If you require airco in the entire villa the best solution is to find one that offers it. Even then you should ask about expected usage (night-only vs. all day etc.) to avoid unexpected and expensive surcharges.

Disclaimer: My comments below are general observations after 22 years of enjoying Bonaire, and are not specific to Buddy Dive or Belmar.

Bedroom airco is usually sized to cool the bedroom only, and is primarily intended to be used only while sleeping at night. Oversizing the wall-mount units to cool additional living space is expensive for owners to purchase and operate, and is also inefficient vs. dedicated airco in each room. Additionally, the aluminum coils and fins on an over-sized unit will usually freeze up when cooling an undersized space (same as with central airco.)

It's fairly common for tourists from colder climes to try to use bedroom airco to cool the whole villa, and to leave it running during the day in a usually futile attempt to make up for the insufficient cooling capacity. Electricity on Bonaire costs several times what we pay in the USA so it's also fairly common for guests to be charged a surcharge for excess consumption of electricity beyond what is deemed "normal" by the property owner. If not already clear in the rental contract it's best to inquire about this in advance with your property rental company, rather than be surprised with it later.

If you require airco in the entire villa the best solution is to find one that offers it. Even then you should ask about expected usage (night-only vs. all day etc.) to avoid unexpected and expensive surcharges.
And this is why I stay at Buddy Dive's main property, on the north side (the old Lions Dive side). A/C in BRs and in the LR. Works great.

Back
Top Bottom