Buddy Dive - Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We have always stayed in condos so not necessarily recommending it. Just throwing it out there. I like the location and the smaller feel then the larger dive resorts. It is a Buddy Dive property with small dive shop on site and offers the same dive and drive packages. Still no a/c in living room.

Welcome to Belmar Bonaire - Belmar Bonaire

Thanks, uncfnp. Beautiful condos! Is there a house reef? One of the things I liked about Buddy dive was the reviews of the house reef.

While we plan on doing some cooking, I also liked the fact that there are restaurants on site for those times we want to grab a quick bite.

Any issues with break-ins at the condo's. A number of threads I read indicated condo's are more frequent targets.

Belmar is on the south end of the island. We have stayed both north and south but we find we prefer the mid to southern dive sites so now always stay south.

Belmar does have a house reef. Most divers agree it is not as good as Buddy’s or Den Laman. In fact, you won’t find a better house reef then Den Laman.

The condos I have always stayed at are super safe, gated communities. I think most of the crime stories at rentals are at stand alone units/houses. Belmar is entirely gated and at least years ago had a night watchman. Dont know if they still do.

I have been to Buddy Dive multiple times including last December. It is essentially a dive lodge, not a luxury resort, but the rooms are clean, adequately maintained and comfortable. We always stay on the north side of the resort in a 1 bedroom and there is AC in the BR and the living room area. The dive op is excellent and the house reef is great. Bel Mar has nicer accommodation but a lesser house reef and no restaurants. From Buddy Dive, you can also walk to nearby restaurants including Between 2 Buns, Eddies and at Capt Don's.

We've been going to Cozumel the last 5 years and always rent a condo. My first time on the island I would prefer a resort for ease. I love the dive and drive packages we've seen.

We're looking at a 1 bedroom from Buddy Dive. We do want a kitchen. We'll cook some meals in. AC is a must. If AC in the bedroom is sufficient, that's fine. Ocean front would be great but Ocean view is ok.

We're really excited about this trip. Based on the feedback to this thread it sounds like Buddy Dive is the way to go. My previous research was all on Scubaboard. Things fell apart when I checked TripAdvisor.

Thanks for taking the time to respond!
Since you mentioned Den Laman, I will say that Den Laman meets all of your criteria and is a true condo experience and definitely a more luxurious offering. Very well appointed and AC throughout. It also has Dive Friends for your on site dive op and storage and rinse needs and a nice pier for giant stride and beautiful stairs from the pier for optional entry and for exit. On site restaurant (Breeze and Bites) is also one of the better options on the island.
My friends also love Belmar. Belmar is situated south of downtown and Den Laman is north of downtown and right on Bari Reef for the house reef, if that makes any difference. It is also next door to Between 2 Buns and walking distance to a grocery store.

Thought I'd pass this along, just in case and for everyone else's benefit. Only qualifier is that it appears to be for 4 people in a 2 bedroom condo, so, you'd need to find 2 more people or another couple. We have stayed in one of the 2 bedrooms at Den Laman with another couple and loved it! Might check with Bonaire Pros and see if they can also offer a reduced price for a 1 bedroom condo?

Fly American Airlines to Bonaire & Save at Den Laman Condos. : Bonaire Hotels & Resorts, Bonaire News, Flights to Bonaire | BonairePros.com

Thought I'd pass this along, just in case and for everyone else's benefit. Only qualifier is that it appears to be for 4 people in a 2 bedroom condo, so, you'd need to find 2 more people or another couple. We have stayed in one of the 2 bedrooms at Den Laman with another couple and loved it! Might check with Bonaire Pros and see if they can also offer a reduced price for a 1 bedroom condo?

Fly American Airlines to Bonaire & Save at Den Laman Condos. : Bonaire Hotels & Resorts, Bonaire News, Flights to Bonaire | BonairePros.com
Thanks for the info and the feedback!

Horrible WIFI. Bedrooms serviceable but WIFI is not. You have to go to the bar to get a signal. If WIFI is something you need, forget Buddy.

Horrible WIFI. Bedrooms serviceable but WIFI is not. You have to go to the bar to get a signal. If WIFI is something you need, forget Buddy.
Just FTR, it's likely affected by where in the resort you stay as well as how many people are on-line at any given moment. I can tell you that I daily posted "Top 10 Pix" to my SmugMug account (as well as answered e-mails and other on-line stuff) and did it from the room where I always had 4-5 bars of signal. Not saying you didn't have a good experience with it, but there's plenty of places in the resort outside of the bar where the signal is strong. I think you're unfairly castigating the quality of the Wi-Fi and, by association, the resort.

I was there with a group of 16 then 14 in 2016 and 2017. Not one person had a good thing to say about the WiFi. I took heat for organising a trip to a WiFi desert. It sucked really badly in all rooms. I will not go back. I like most aspects of the resort but the abyssmal WiFi signal means that I won’t return.

Rotten WiFi is a deal-breaker for me these days.

I was there with a group of 16 then 14 in 2016 and 2017. Not one person had a good thing to say about the WiFi. I took heat for organising a trip to a WiFi desert. It sucked really badly in all rooms. I will not go back. I like most aspects of the resort but the abyssmal WiFi signal means that I won’t return.

Rotten WiFi is a deal-breaker for me these days.

Thank you for your post. I have read elsewhere that they have worked on their WiFi service and it is much improved. Hoping this is the case!

Back
Top Bottom