Suunto Dive Manager problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mgmonk

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Computers make me angry.

I got an AHS PC interface about a month ago. Just got a serial to usb adapter for my laptop. Read the hundreds of posts here on SB and all of the literature regarding potential problems (on Jamie's website and on the disc he sent), and thought I'd have it licked.

I've got nada.

Using a Vyper, Dive Manager 1.4, Athens Home Solutions Interface, some generic looking serial to usb, and a Toshiba laptop with XP

The software says it dosn't find a device on any of the com ports if I try and test. If I try to skip that a go directly to transfer, I get "Windows reports the selected COM port doesn't exist" I tried manualy switching between ports and got nothing. I wnet to my Device Manager, and got really confused. Couldn't find anything one way or the other.

Any ideas?????

Actually, if I use COM 3 it reports "could not intialize COM port. Please try a different COM port"

Not much of a breaktrhough, but it least it doesn't flat out deny that the port exists!

I also have that interface.I've had it for a while and was having trouble getting it to read the Com port also.Due to sometimers disease (sometime I cant remember S^*#)I can't remember how I got mine to work, but I do remember it was something simple. Someone with better memory or thats recently set theirs up will probably post and get you up and running. It's a great interface and if I ever need a new one I will buy another one to replace it.Also I'm running the 1.6 version of dive manager that I downloaded from Suunto. I think their was a problem with one of their versions

Gannon, it looks like maybe your com port might be disabled or something else is using the port. From what you said, its a windows configuration problem or the drivers for the adapter aren't installed correctly. Do you have any other devices that use the usb port? If so, their software could be occupying the port. Make sure nothing like that is running in the background. Version 1.4 doesn't have any problems but version 1.51 does. Tricking windows about its hardware can sometimes make it tempermental... My guess is that the drivers didn't install correctly.

The current version of the software is Dive Manager v1.6 with Version 2.0 due out in the next week or two. Go to http://www.suuntosports.com/ and download the latest version and see if that helps. Then in a couple of weeks, go get Version 2.0 when it comes out. Maybe that will help.

jamiei:
Make sure nothing like that is running in the background. .

I tried going to my device manager to see if the usb ports had some kind of conflicts, but I'm not even sure I knew what I was doing.

Anybody got advice on how to check for conflicts?

jamiei:
Version 1.4 doesn't have any problems but version 1.51 does. QUOTE]

I've tried 1.4 and 1.6

Believe me, I read all the forums/instructions and tried the obvious stuff first.
Now that it seems like a windows thing, I'm stuck.

mgmonk:
Actually, if I use COM 3 it reports "could not intialize COM port. Please try a different COM port"

Not much of a breaktrhough, but it least it doesn't flat out deny that the port exists!

Try to disable COM ports in BIOS, than install serial to USB adapter and configure it as COM1 or COM2. Pay attention on speed and other COM port parameters.

I built my interface and it works fine I remember there is a "fine tunning" you have to do with the number of seconds to read from your port. Once you get the right number works like a charm - don't forget to have your computer in [3 TR-PC] mode.

StingRob

mgmonk:
Computers make me angry.

I got an AHS PC interface about a month ago. Just got a serial to usb adapter for my laptop. Read the hundreds of posts here on SB and all of the literature regarding potential problems (on Jamie's website and on the disc he sent), and thought I'd have it licked.

I've got nada.

Using a Vyper, Dive Manager 1.4, Athens Home Solutions Interface, some generic looking serial to usb, and a Toshiba laptop with XP

The software says it dosn't find a device on any of the com ports if I try and test. If I try to skip that a go directly to transfer, I get "Windows reports the selected COM port doesn't exist" I tried manualy switching between ports and got nothing. I wnet to my Device Manager, and got really confused. Couldn't find anything one way or the other.

Any ideas?????

mgmonk:
Computers make me angry.

I've got nada.

Any ideas?????

Try it out an a different computer, if you can. Not sure if you have a serial port on your laptop but if you do, try that. I also bought an AHS adapter for my Vyper. The serial to USB adapter I bought off ebay for $10 was a total waste of money as I could never get it to work....in fact, It would not recognize the device....

good luck.

BTW - without the USB it works like a charm. I've also got a Toshiba laptop/XP here at work...perhaps I'll give it a shot later and see if I can get it to work. My home machine where I use the serial port is also XP...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom