In search of octo holder that actually works

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My personal favourite on this off-topic is my late uncle's story about the Japanese switch from imperial to metric. Apparently they had quite a few imperial-size bolt and nut etc. blanks in stock at the time, and they just cut metric thread on them. Imagine being an Australian car mechanic and working on a vehicle that came with those.

Did they actually get there is another question?

:poke::poke::rofl3:

I personally believe they did but I think the pictures are fake.

Saw something about how the cross hairs on the pictures sometimes go behind the image and sometimes in front.

But the radiation argument is quite compelling.

s-l1600.jpg

I would like to bump this thread...
My solution are lanyards like the ones in the picture. I have three, 1 for emergercy reg hose, one for pressure gauge hose, and one of the go pro pole not to dangle around when ascending (it is anyway tied up with another lanyard)
I like them, perhaps it is better to switch to bungee or snorkel holder for the emergency reg in case the lanyard above is too complicated to use in a danger situation
How do you secure exactly the emergency reg hose to a snorkel keeper or to a bungee?

O-ring+boltsnap

^^^This^^^

Is how I do it on my long hose for side mount. Loop an O ring through a bolt snap and zip tie the O ring to the hose. Then clip it to your shoulder D ring. If you need to donate, just yank and the O ring breaks. I typically take the time to unclip it for when practicing.

View attachment 481940

I would like to bump this thread...
My solution are lanyards like the ones in the picture. I have three, 1 for emergercy reg hose, one for pressure gauge hose, and one of the go pro pole not to dangle around when ascending (it is anyway tied up with another lanyard)
I like them, perhaps it is better to switch to bungee or snorkel holder for the emergency reg in case the lanyard above is too complicated to use in a danger situation
How do you secure exactly the emergency reg hose to a snorkel keeper or to a bungee?

you just ram the mouthpiece through the loop. works great - and they are almost free

Title says it all. I'm not looking for the necklace, etc. I want a standard rec octo holder that actually holds the dang thing so octo doesn't constantly come loose. I've been diving with octo hose formed into a U shape and stuffed into the right hip D ring on my BP/W harness. That's the only way it's ever not come loose. Neither regular buddy nor instructors for Advanced course this summer are particularly happy with that method.

I've tried these two. Both abject failures.

The rubber loop: Trident Octo Holder with Clip | Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL - Dive Right in Scuba

Bungee-type loop: Octo Holder with a Clip - Dive Right in Scuba

Suggestions? I've seen magnetic ones, but I think I've also read they can interfere with your compass. My compass is on a retractor on right chest D ring.

I use these. Non magnetic but work the same. I've got extras at $15 + shipping (nominal). I've got 2 of each color extra.

upload_2018-9-28_10-11-48.png

Since day one have an octo holder with clip and a bungee around the mouthpiece. It used to fail when I did not cinch it hard enough. Ever since I changed the mouthpiece (apparently I bite through it in tome) to a different one, it fails way more.
Time to finally overcome inertia and use the necklace.

A question to those who have a reason to breathe two tanks empty in eg. 500 PSI steps each (sidemount, maybe independent doubles) and dive with rec divers:
Do you rig breakaway boltsnaps (o-ring) or do you just tie the boltsnap and count on (when breathing out of the necklace reg) whoever may desperately trying to tug that (to them) "octo on a boltsnap" loose to go for the reg in your mouth eventually?
Break away bolt snap with tiny cable tie. necklace alternate.

Right now I’m using a silicone retainer that looks like a snorkel keeper, but with a square opening. It’s been working great.

Back
Top Bottom