Dive Computer and Airport Security

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cmcdarris

Registered
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We are traveling to Roatan at the end of October for a dive trip. I have two Suunto Cobra3's that have the quick release, which allows me to put just the computer in my carry-on bag. Has anyone had any airport security issues with dive computers?

Nope, never any questions whatsoever, including the Cobra 3 with the quick release.

Not a problem in Roatan last year. Went right through. We carry on our complete reg sets and never had an issue anywhere. That being said, I pull the computer out of my backpack so it is not in the pack itself. I treat it like my iPad basically.

Get ready from some great diving!

Jay

Last edited:
The most I have ever had was the person running the x-ray machine at the carry-on security look at me and have a conversation that went something like this:

TSA x-ray tech: Dive Gear?
Me: Yup.
TSA x-ray tech: Cool. Have a great trip.
Me: Thanks. I'll do my best. Have a great day.

Thanks to all. We live in Raleigh NC and a local woman had visited Roatan 2 months ago to buy a house. She had a travel mug with a hidden compartment for money. Security took it and cut it open to find a "white substance", which was interior insulation. They threw her in jail for about 10 days until testing showed it was NOT a controlled substance. The story made national news and me nervous about having some uninformed TSA agent think my Cobra3 was some type of explosive timer. I think I will just leave it attached to my reg kit and carry it all. My old Uwtec computer was permanently attached to my 1st stage and I never had an issue with that.

Just traveled with 2 dive computers in carry-on( suunto viper nuvo and scubapro G2) with no problems whatsoever. I carried them in a backpack that also had my regulator FWIW.

I took a shearwater petrel and a scubapro Galileo to Roatan this past June with no problem. They did want to talk about my dry box full of li-ion batteries. Only because they decided the batteries "look like shotgun shells" in the x-ray. Once they unzipped the bag to take a peek they moved me on my way.

I also had regulators with full facemasks and a handful of other items in the bag.

Thanks to all. We live in Raleigh NC and a local woman had visited Roatan 2 months ago to buy a house. She had a travel mug with a hidden compartment for money. Security took it and cut it open to find a "white substance", which was interior insulation. They threw her in jail for about 10 days until testing showed it was NOT a controlled substance. The story made national news and me nervous about having some uninformed TSA agent think my Cobra3 was some type of explosive timer. I think I will just leave it attached to my reg kit and carry it all. My old Uwtec computer was permanently attached to my 1st stage and I never had an issue with that.
I saw that in the news. Insane. Has she been freed and allowed to go home? I never saw a follow-up story.

Just traveled with 2 dive computers in carry-on( suunto viper nuvo and scubapro G2) with no problems whatsoever. I carried them in a backpack that also had my regulator FWIW.
That's what I do too - dive computets, regs and flashlights in my backpack - never a problem in multiple trips to Aruba, Turks & Cocos and Aruba.

Tools, on the other hand, were a problem leaving Grand Cayman this past August and they took a small multi tool, a cone wrench and a ratcheting crescent wrench that were in my backpack. I've carried these tools to GC for the last 4 years and they are fully TSA compliant - but GC agents said they follow British rules - not TSA - and confiscated them. In response to never having these tools be a problem in GC before, they said I must have checked them in past years! I didn't. Bottom Line - they suck, so leave the tools in checked bags and hope they don't get stolen by the baggage guys!

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom