I can't help but notice....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We lost a gentleman here in Tobermory last weekend... Friends were directly involved in the rescue attempt. 66 years of age and I "heard" he was 345 pounds, and not especially tall. To quote the friend who did CPR... "He had no business being in the water..."

Unofficial findings... "Medical issue leading to out of control ascent and AGE".

That the VAST majority of incidents on this forum lately, all seem to be people of a certain age group. I am certainly keeping this in the back of my mind as I age further...
Nothing new here. Long recognized fact. So, are you suggesting anything other than taking care of yourself?

You might look at how the ages line up with the age distribution of scuba divers in general. It isn't so much that diving is hazardous to people in this age group as that a lot of divers happen to be in this age group.
Yep. I didn't start until my mid-50s. Many here are much younger and wonder what an old coot like me is doing still suiting up & diving in. I try to keep up and dive safe in part because I don't want to ruin anyone else's trip, so try to not be bothered with this old fossil shows up to dive.

When I have to go, tho - I'd rather be out doing something than lying some institution's bed, or alone at home watching TV. Well, I haven't allowed TV in my home since 1988 after I came home from a busy month including Hawaii and Ireland, realizing how much nicer life is when I didn't take time to watch any. The antenna wire at my old farmhouse had blown loose while I was away and I have halfway from the barn with a ladder when I turned around and put it back. I drive by that dilapidated old frame house occasionally and that antenna is still standing by it, wire waving in the wind.

I do try to be more careful in my older but wiser years as I'd hate to kill myself with some dumb stunt I should have known better than try. I take the easier hikes and carry my PLB along with plenty of water and all that, the same PLB I dive with.

I was on a raft outside of Yellowstone last weekend, and between rapids when one of the others asked me what got me onboard - and I was slow coming down the steps to the river with my bad cowboy knee that hurts on inclines, as well as maybe not the best paddler onboard. I pointed at my daughter and blamed her, but then I have always tried to set a lively example for her.

We lost a gentleman here in Tobermory last weekend... Friends were directly involved in the rescue attempt. 66 years of age and I "heard" he was 345 pounds, and not especially tall. To quote the friend who did CPR... "He had no business being in the water..."

Unofficial findings... "Medical issue leading to out of control ascent and AGE".
66 is not in itself too old for scuba, nor many other activities. If your stats are right, he was simply a walking time bomb. We also see too many strokes and cardiac events in people in their 30s, usually from poor life choices I think.

In your 30s it's probably a poor choice of parents. But being in shape etc does help.

Obesity is an issue in several dive related risk factors.

Yes, old people die more often than young people, but the fatalities we have had here recently (4 I think) have all been in "older" 60+ guys, and all were cardiac events or aneurysms (which I understand does not need to be age-related, but often is.)

I fished one (maybe 70, and 50 pounds overweight) out of the water the other day that had just blown off from 80' when he began to share his air with his buddy, who's regulator had frozen up. He lay back on the surface gasping for air, about 50' from the dive boat. It took him a solid 5 minutes before he was responding to me. At my urging, his Captain but him on 02 fro a while. As far as I know, he dove again 90 minutes later.

The reality is that on a good day, diving is dirt-stupid easy, and especially appealling to fat old guys...

Lest you think I am picking on fat old guys, I'll point out that I am 61, but in decent shape and I dive a lot. Most of the accidents are in "newer, older" divers, around here anyway...

To quote the friend who did CPR... "He had no business being in the water..."
It's kind of ironic... they want you to exercise and if you die while doing that, they criticize you for it post mortem.

I'm 60. I'm obese. I dive. How much more obese would I be if I couldn't dive? Would I like, er love, to lose weight? Hell yes. I haven't been successful in that regard, but I won't stop trying and diving will always be a part of my life. In addition, I'll keep getting older until I kak off. No one's getting out of here alive. Just remember that.

Nearly every report of a diving fatality lists M.I. as the cause of death, it doesn't mean much in terms of what happened.

Not so much here... Our local coroner is very qualified and has a background in hyperbaric meds. Most common "CoD" is drowning, but similarly, the drowning was precipitated by something. A number of the fatalities occurred on the surface, swimming in the current. He doesn't even classify these as diving accidents. "Death while diving" as opposed to "Death from Diving"... as in golfing.

One of the local shops lost one of theirs in Newfoundland the other day. I didn't know him, but looking at pics on FB after the accident, and again, he looked like a heart attack waiting to happen...

Hit the treadmill folks... it ain't that hard.

My long-time buddy has pretty much quit diving after an incident last year. He's never exercised in the almost 40 years we've been diving together and it's caught up to him now.

Last edited:
In addition, I'll keep getting older until I kak off. No one's getting out of here alive. Just remember that.

No offense Chief, but that's a ****** attitude. If you kick it diving, that will have a lasting impact on those who try to save your ass. Plus, an obese, out of shape diver sucks as a buddy. They can't hold up their end of the deal that two buddies enter into... To save each other's asses.

With my buddy, it had become an unspoken issue between us. Mrs. Stoo often tended boat while he and I did a "DD&S" dive (deep, dark and scary). We often followed the same lake, same day buddy system. Mrs. Stoo was extremely concerned about how she could possibly deal with him if he surfaced in distress. No way she could have dragged him into the boat etc. Watching him die in front of her would have seriously messed her up and likely ended her diving.

So while obesity as a choice may be fine, but don't think for a second that it doesn't have an effect on others.

I should add that have a few decades of dive experience is a huge factor. My understanding is that the guy who died here last weekend was a relatively new diver. He should never have been in a dive class or been certified IMHO, but since he was an American, I assume that the shop where he trained was afraid of being sued had they prevented him from entering a class.

That the VAST majority of incidents on this forum lately, all seem to be people of a certain age group. I am certainly keeping this in the back of my mind as I age further...

This was bound to happen. Diving really became a thing because of baby boomers and there is bound to be a large aging population of divers, some of whom will certainly believe, as we are reading here, that it's better to die in the saddle than wait for it in the living room.

I admire people remaining active for as long as possible. I also *really* think that staying active is the only game in town if you want to live a long and happy life. That said, I also believe that people need to understand that if they check out in the middle of a dive that the consequences for the survivors is often very traumatic.

Here's an example. A shop where I worked a number of years ago took a group on a guided dive. One of the divers in the group was someone we didn't know. He filled in all "no" on the medical form and they took him diving. While he was getting his gear on, he had a heart attack and died. He was standing on a pier at the time and when he fell he rolled into the water and it became a dive accident. The incident was investigated by police, the instructor in charge was never charged with a crime nor were there any legal consequences to the incident.

However, the trauma of having tried to save someone's life and failing, being in the spotlight for his possible role in events, the inevitable fallout on the internet where all manner of horrible accusations were made based on zero knowledge of the instructor, the diver or the circumstances, were just too much for him. He quit his job and he stopped diving entirely.

Several of the other people who were there that day never came back. I don't know if they stopped diving or not but it's a common reaction to this kind of thing. We never heard from them again at any rate.....

The ONE person who was not traumatized was the man's wife. She knew ALL about his heart condition. She knew that he had concealed it from the shop and they had long since made peace with the fact that he chose to LIVE his life and "die in the saddle" rather than to try and live for as long as possible at any cost. Neither the diver nor his wife had given the first thought to what would happen to other people who were there when he died..... and I believe they actually didn't care.

Partly that incident and partly the fact that many divers have started dying from medical conditions, I now give this attention in the theory part of the lessons. The main thing I try to get across without it sounding like sermon is that physical fitness is important and that while you can dive to a very advanced age, there is a clear need after a certain age to get medically checked every year.

R..

The last two I remember reading about were technical dives. Technical diving requires lots of time and lots of money. Guess which age group tends to have more of both?

Maybe those of us over the age of 25 should be banned from diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom