I can't help but notice....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wgw04024

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
That the VAST majority of incidents on the Accidents and Incidents forum lately, all seem to be people of a certain age group. I am certainly keeping this in the back of my mind as I age further...

You might look at how the ages line up with the age distribution of scuba divers in general. It isn't so much that diving is hazardous to people in this age group as that a lot of divers happen to be in this age group.

That the VAST majority of incidents on this forum lately, all seem to be people of a certain age group. I am certainly keeping this in the back of my mind as I age further...

I've already passed that age group so I don't have to worry any more. :)

Reasons for this include more disposable income and spare time and a generational lack of interest in scuba generally among younger people that tend to gravitate towards things that are fun but don't require an extended commitment of time or resources. I could be wrong. I'm not an expert and this is just my impression of the situation. Among Americans there is also a general decline in fitness and cardiovascular health among the older age groups. Obesity is an issue in several dive related risk factors.

And older people simply die more often, not trying to be morbid but facts are facts. Another thing different about scuba is how we classify an accident. If you die of a massive heart attack while diving, it's a "diving accident" but it's not a --fill in the blank sport -- accident in any other sport.....drop dead on the golf course and it's not a "golfing accident" or mowing the lawn, it's not a "lawn mower" accident, they are heart attacks. Only in scuba is a heart attack an accident.

Don't bother, it is a can of worms.

No it's not.... :D

DAN has made the same observation a number of times. The largest category in their annual fatality reports involves cardiac events. Guess whch age group is more prone to cardiac events, 20-30 or 50-60?

Back
Top Bottom