I can't help but notice....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No offense Chief, but that's a ****** attitude. If you kick it diving, that will have a lasting impact on those who try to save your ass.

I disagree with this line of reasoning for a whole bunch of reasons.

Dealing with loss in general and death in particular is part of being a healthy adult. I've seen people die, people I cared about. I've dealt with suicide attempts. Seen addiction's end game. Seen people coptered out from car crashes. No doubt that's all had your "lasting impact" on who I am as a person. It has most certainly shaken me out of any fantasy world I may have constructed where people live forever, or all die painlessly in a rocking chair by the fire in their late 90s, surrounded by compassionate family, friends, and caregivers.

I'm not part of any fire or rescue outfit but I carry a prudent amount of gear around. I have a first aid kit and a CPR mask in my car, my truck, and my desk at work. If I'm shore diving where I think others will be present I usually carry emergency O2. I pay attention to what's going on around me. If I have to rescue someone, whether they make it or not, well, yes, it will affect me. Diving or not diving.

I suppose if I rescue someone on vacation I'll have a bad day or two on vacation and miss some dives. This can also happen because of weather, a bad cold, problems back home, traffic, flight delays, or any number of other things that I accept as being an inherent part of travel.

I'm not going to tell people not to smoke cigarettes even though I've seen people die from lung cancer. I'm not going to tell people to control their drinking even though I've seen people die from the cumulative effects of a bottle of vodka a day over time. And I'm not going to tell people not to dive. They won't listen. And the last thing we need is some sort of regulatory body deciding who is medically fit to dive. We used to have that for private pilots, to no apparent public benefit, and it just finally got dismantled, sort of, earlier this year. In part because people still wouldn't listen, and were flying anyway, because there's always a way to cheat the system.

Plus, an obese, out of shape diver sucks as a buddy. They can't hold up their end of the deal that two buddies enter into... To save each other's asses.

Back up the bus, folks, it is most assuredly not the deal between buddies that they are contractually compelled to save each other's asses. We've been through this, the industry has been through this, and that's not the way it is.

In any case, I choose my buddies based on many criteria and on the whole I find that most of my dives are either solo or with far less qualified divers who aren't going to save my ass. I don't care whether my buddies are HWP, I care whether they are physically able to do the dive. There are plenty of thin twiggy people who aren't great buddies either. It isn't about body shape, or age, or gender, it's about ability.

I should add that have a few decades of dive experience is a huge factor. My understanding is that the guy who died here last weekend was a relatively new diver. He should never have been in a dive class or been certified IMHO, but since he was an American, I assume that the shop where he trained was afraid of being sued had they prevented him from entering a class.

Since he was an American, I assume that the shop where he trained respected his choices and encouraged him to discuss his medical fitness to dive with a physician.

Nonsense. In many cases, obesety is not a choice - it's an effing burden. I work out in the gym 6 days a week, eat 1000 calories or less every day and I can't lose a pound. It's not my choice and anyone who says it is ... Well, I don't want to be offensive.
1st case ever in recorded history of a person violating the laws of thermodynamics.

Nobel Prize comin' right up.

I knew my comments would be offensive to some and I apologize for that, but sometimes the truth stings. I don't profess to be a fitness guru, but I also truly don't believe that it's possible to be fit and obese. If your "outer body" is laden with adipose tissue, then the arteries pretty much need to be as well... don't they?

There is such a thing as an arterial CT scan that actually measures the thickness of the fat deposits on the coronary arteries. There are people who score well on these tests despite having a body fat percentage in the "obese" category.

Ah, good ol' stereotypes. I am obese, but how out of shape am I? I can swim circles around most divers and even instructors.

Little bit of fun trivia: when it comes to surface swimming, "obesity paradox" refers to the fact that more fat = more buoyant = less effort spent of staying afloat so more effort can be dedicated to propulsion. The flip side is increased water resistance. Thin and heavy comes with less resistance but more energy spent pushing yourself up.
(We typically grow big lungs to help with that. :wink:

pete i'd love to hear your Doctor's take on this.
healthy but Achilles wont let you walk on a treadmill? comparing yourself to a marine mammal?

morbid obesity is by definition, bad news. recommend to familiarize yourself with the definition of the word morbidity.

1st case ever in recorded history of a person violating the laws of thermodynamics.

Nobel Prize comin' right up.

Well if one pumps iron 6 days a week one's just replacing light fluffy fat with dense heavy muscle... no wonder he can't lose a pound.

Well if one pumps iron 6 days a week one's just replacing light fluffy fat with dense heavy muscle... no wonder he can't lose a pound.
Gettin' swole isn't the impression I got from his post. Could be wrong though, and I hope I am.

Sun's out guns out, sky's out thighs out.

I'm kidding of course.
Once metabolism gets to 50yo speed, losing fat gets so much harder... I spent the summer eating a couple of salads a day and lost a whooping 5 pounds. Bah!

Back
Top Bottom