Cozumel Airport forbidden items

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can attest to this not being true.
For the second time returning from Cozumel they decided to take random stuff. First time was aset of Allen Keys on the basis that tools are not allowed, regardless of the fact that the cases with forbiden items doesn't say anything of the sort. Last night out of the whole carryon that had flashlights, camera and cases, chargers, they decided that the 2 small pieces of lead, not bigger than 5x5 cms we use on the camera case as weights, were not allowed because they are heavy objects. Seriously? but the two heavy metal flashlights were not heavy objects and last time those small weights were not a problem.
So my conclusion is that they have no damn clue what they're doing, its all how the wind blows. Unfortunately it is alienating people, and personally, just becuse of this two bad experiences Cozumel is off my future travel list. There is a very good reason for the stuff I keep in my carryon, if some a** decides to go on a power trip and make his own rules and take my stuff for no reason I will not return.
So to future travellers to Cozumel, anything is fair game and can be confiscated out of your carryon.
Sorry you had a bad experience; mine have been just the opposite. I haven't had anything at all confiscated at the screening counter in numerous trips to Cozumel over the past several years. I understand that you are irritated and probably just venting, but I certainly wouldn't let something like this dictate where I would or would not go to dive.

Tools, no matter how difficult it would be to use them to cause an in flight problem, are subject to confiscation, so I don't put any in carry on, even tiny eyeglass screwdrivers. Likewise, batteries; I use a lot of alkalines of all sizes and I leave any that I have left over with the dive shop, though they have never said a word about the ones in my video bag. Liquids are right out, of course.

It's really not that hard to avoid problems, and getting into an argument with the folks at the screening desk won't accomplish anything besides getting yourself worked up. Good luck next time, if there is one.

Sorry you had a bad experience; mine have been just the opposite. I haven't had anything at all confiscated at the screening counter in numerous trips to Cozumel over the past several years. I understand that you are irritated and probably just venting, but I certainly wouldn't let something like this dictate where I would or would not go to dive.

Tools, no matter how difficult it would be to use them to cause an in flight problem, are subject to confiscation, so I don't put any in carry on, even tiny eyeglass screwdrivers. Likewise, batteries; I use a lot of alkalines of all sizes and I leave any that I have left over with the dive shop, though they have never said a word about the ones in my video bag. Liquids are right out, of course.

It's really not that hard to avoid problems, and getting into an argument with the folks at the screening desk won't accomplish anything besides getting yourself worked up. Good luck next time, if there is one.

There are too many great dive destination options to have to put up with just plain stupid. Such institutional idiocy should not occur without a cost.

I can attest to this not being true.
For the second time returning from Cozumel they decided to take random stuff.
Snip!

Sorry to hear that. I'd be annoyed too.

Thanks to this thread, travel experience for the last ~20 years, and random luck, I haven't had problem in CZM.

So my conclusion is that they have no damn clue what they're doing, its all how the wind blows.
I don't know where or how else you travel, but that's been my experience world-wide. Some places are better than others, but in any one specific instance, it comes down to whether the security guy (or gal) spilled their coffee and burnt their toast that morning, or got laid, much more than being clueful about some rule book they're supposed to follow.

So to future travellers to Cozumel, anything is fair game and can be confiscated out of your carryon.

Here, let me correct that for you

So to future travellers, anything is fair game and can be confiscated out of your luggage.
Not that I wouldn't be angry and want to vent as well.... You've got my sympathy, but I wouldn't be so surprised.

There are too many great dive destination options to have to put up with just plain stupid. Such institutional idiocy should not occur without a cost.
By the same token, I am not going to let a couple of minutes of mildly irritating experience dictate where I travel. There are not that many (make that "any") other dive destinations that offer the combination of dive quality, quality of life onshore, and economy that Cozumel offers to me, and it's really not that hard to avoid the problems at the airport. To say that the inspectors on a whim will confiscate anything they want and everything is vulnerable is, to say the least, an exaggeration. I have managed to get through the CZM airport unscathed dozens of times.

Do what you want, but I can hardly wait to get back to Cozumel. Come on, May!

Last edited:
By the same token, I am not going to let a couple of minutes of mildly irritating experience dictate where I travel. There are not that many (make that "any") other dive destinations that offer the combination of dive quality, quality of life onshore, and economy that Cozumel offers to me, and it's really not that hard to avoid the problems at the airport. To say that the inspectors on a whim will confiscate anything they want and everything is vulnerable is, to say the least, an exaggeration. I have managed to get through the CZM airport unscathed dozens of times.

Do what you want, but I can hardly wait to get back to Cozumel. Come on, May!

Since I usually fly Southwest and they don't fly to Cozumel anyway I manage to avoid CZM altogether by landing at CUN and doing the bag drag. CUN does not seem to be so picky.

I've been to Cozumel twice so far and we found ourselves planning our next trip there as we were leaving. We are looking into renting a place there because we like it so much.

I have travelled to at least 10 different destinations, and 3 other times to Mayan Riviera, my Alan Keys have always been in my carryon without any issues. I agree with awap, too many great destinations to return somewhere where I never know what I will have to part with, eventhough I did my home work and familiarized myself with prohibited items. I go on vacation to relax so even few minutes of irritation are not worth it.
Additionally, when we got to Toronto the lock on one of the suitcases was gone, eventhough is a TSA approved lock that can be unlocked if they wish to check my suitcase, not even sure what happened there since there was no sticker saying they opened my suitcase.
Cozumel will go on without me just fine, and my post was not just venting but rather a warning to future visitors. Who knows, maybe next time they decide that cameras are not allowed, meanwhile they allow knitting needles, you tell me what can be more harmful between that and a set of alan keys. So I will maintain that in the case if Cozumel it is hard to know what will be confiscated next. Even the rule fir batteries is stupid, what's the difference if they are in a flashlight or not, what is stopping anyone to take them out after boarding?

Cozumel will go on without me just fine, and my post was not just venting but rather a warning to future visitors. Who knows, maybe next time they decide that cameras are not allowed...
We both know that that is hyperbole, but suit yourself. Tools are not allowed and Allen wrenches are tools, so why not just put them in your checked bags? What do you need them for during the plane ride?

But whatever floats your boat. As you say, Cozumel and those of us who go there will get along just fine. Speaking strictly for myself, I know what to expect and I plan for it, and I sail through the checkpoint without problems.

We both know that that is hyperbole, but suit yourself. Tools are not allowed and Allen wrenches are tools, so why not just put them in your checked bags? What do you need them for during the plane ride?

I figure that, whatever item we're talking about, if it's something that isn't commonly found in a passenger's carry-on bag and/or I don't NEED to have it with me, I err on the side of caution and put it in my checked bag. This goes not just for Cozumel but anywhere I travel. Security personnel are not necessarily the brightest, they have the final say, and I'd rather not have to argue with them.

I figure that, whatever item we're talking about, if it's something that isn't commonly found in a passenger's carry-on bag and/or I don't NEED to have it with me, I err on the side of caution and put it in my checked bag. This goes not just for Cozumel but anywhere I travel. Security personnel are not necessarily the brightest, they have the final say, and I'd rather not have to argue with them.
It's not that they are stupid (though they may be, I dunno) it's that they have to answer to their bosses for anything they let through that proves to be problematic, and they, like you (and me) will err to the side of caution. They would rather block something that would be OK than let something through that isn't. It's pointless to get angry at them, and at any rate it's not an argument that you can win.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom