Long hose and PSD?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OldNSalty

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just wondering if the standard long hose configuration works in the PSD world. I was talking with a guy on the local Search and Rescue team the other night and he thought it would be a hazard (but it also sounded like he had no experience with it).

Why would you want/need a long hose? We only put one diver in at a time.

If we are not diving with a full face mask and diving as a buddy team we'll use long hoses. Since the long hose wraps closely to the body it is less a hazard (think cave and wreck divers who want to reduce entanglement issues) than a regular hose that sticks out over the shoulder. When using a full face mask we use a regular hose.

I do find it strange when people tell me the long hose is a hazard, yet they have no experience with it.

I tuck the AGA hose under my arm like the drysuit hose. The pony hose is still a problem along with the bungee depending on the situation.

Still. Why would you even want or need a long hose for PSD diving? It's kind of like taking a snorkel. Sure, you can, but why?

Even if you're in a state where your team does not fall under the Federal OSHA, you should be adhering to those standards. If you're diving properly, you have a redundant air supply with a bailout. You're tendered and have a safety diver suited up. You have communication. So what's the purpose of a long hose?

So it sounds like the part that was missing from my conversation with the guy was that he never pointed out that you only have1 diver in at a time. I did not know this but now I understand better. He went straight to entanglement hazards and I was like, but that is the configuration for people who go into areas where there could be entanglements as shurite7 pointed out. If the guy had started with "We only drop 1 diver in at a time so there would be no air sharing" I think the conversation would have gone a little different. Thanks everyone for the 411.

The long hose for caving isn't to reduce entanglements, but to facilitate air sharing where you have to dive head to toe through smaller spaces. While a few times during the 26 years I was affiliated with a team a normal hose may have gotten caught by something a couple times, more often it was something along my body that caught on something. Hose length is something to consider, but I think longer is the wrong way to go. With FFM shorter with an angle adapter always seemed to work better.

What if the public safety diving team is the IUCRR? :)

Use of a long hose is not a problem. and can be a valuable tool. There are several considerations, first is hose routing this has many arguments. If you follow the teachings of several agencies theirs is the only way, and all others are wrong. You must find a technique that keeps the hose out of the way yet remains easy to deploy, each and every time. This can be by body wrap such as Hogarthian, or retention bands such as inner tube bands, as well as others. How you handle this will be determined by your equipment.

Next is the quality of your regulator and internal hose diameter. for as the hose gets longer your second stage may not perform as well, especially if you are using a cheap second stage. For the record my regulators are both the same.

We all should be using a rescue bottle when responding to a diver in trouble, this may be a pony that is passed off or a designated rescue bottle. On my personal rescue bottle I have a long hose, held for deployment with bands made from inner tubes. and only deploy what is needed. The bottom line is whatever configuration you chose requires practice until it becomes second nature.

Improper preparation will lead to problems, and failure to practice in all conditions will also lead to problems no matter what configuration you chose. For most PSD's they will not take the time to become proficient, with their equipment. If you care define why you are using or need a long hose, then practice those conditions that would cause it;s use and see if there is a better way if not you have your answer.

An example is a diver tangled zero vis. can't read gauges, deploy long hose as you cut your team mate lose. Or confined space exit such as from a car or van, the same benefit as for a cave diver. Just make sure you know why you are doing what you are doing.

Sincerely,

Bob Kinder
PSD Instructor, Cave Diver, Commercial Diver Supervisor

The leader of a ps dive team I used to be associated with standardized on long hoses. The mission determined whether one or two divers entered the water at the same time.

Back
Top Bottom