Dragar Ray Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver Mike

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I was out with a group recently and there was a guy there that was diving a "Ray". He said that they routinely dive to 130' with it.

I read in the Ray manual and in the TDI course and I remember from my Drager Atlantis and Dolphin classes that the Ray is limited to 72 fsw due to the 50% Ean mix.

Is there any way this guy is correct. If so what do you do for a dosage device and EAN mix?

Just curious thats all.

Mike...

Mike, aside from diving leaner mixes with the 50% dosing unit that is stock (a practise that isn't encouraged by either Dräger nor any training agency I'm aware of - some people do it anyway) you can get a higher flow dosing/bypass unit that is metered for EAN32. That'll give you a pO2 of 1.6 at 40m/132ft
with the supply gas (probably a tad less with the actual loop content). You'll likely need a bigger tank as the flow rate is faster and you have to consider bailout from a greater depth, and unlike the Dolphin where you can switch the orifice only you'll need to replace the entire dosing/bypass unit.

They are available through W+S Water Safety in Germany (they'll ship ww) if your local dealer can't get it for you.

caveseeker7:
Mike, aside from diving leaner mixes with the 50% dosing unit that is stock (a practise that isn't encouraged by either Dräger nor any training agency I'm aware of - some people do it anyway) you can get a higher flow dosing/bypass unit that is metered for EAN32. That'll give you a pO2 of 1.6 at 40m/132ft
with the supply gas (probably a tad less with the actual loop content). You'll likely need a bigger tank as the flow rate is faster and you have to consider bailout from a greater depth, and unlike the Dolphin where you can switch the orifice only you'll need to replace the entire dosing/bypass unit.

They are available through W+S Water Safety in Germany (they'll ship ww) if your local dealer can't get it for you.

Thanks for the information. I see that the dosage device looks similar to the Ray unit, just a different orifice.

I agree about the gas supply, the regular Ray bottle would not work. I remember that this diver had a 50 cu ft bottle, know I know why.

Well my curiosity has been quited. Thanks again for the reply.

Mike...

diveprojeff:
Even with a new dosage device are you sure the IP the Ray regulator is set to will accomadate these depths?
Why wouldn't it, the Ray has a balanced first stage. :06:

On one of my Ray configurations I used a 60% dolphin jet and adjusted my mix based on how deep I wanted to dive and my O2 usage. I dove this to 150'. I had added a loop flush and could not surface swim the bottle mix.

Back
Top Bottom