Contact Lenses vs Prescription Mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaTriskeLion

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
I've had prescription contact lenses for several years now. Whenever I go swimming with my snorkel mask, I wear the contacts. However, they are soft lenses and don't like getting water in them. Since I'm likely going to take my OW SCUBA certification classes next summer, I'd like to consider getting a prescription mask. I know that part of the course is learning how to take off your mask and replace/clear it underwater. Unfortunately, even with my eyes shut during the process, the little bit of water left on my eyes would mess up my contacts and likely leave me partially or totally "blind" until I can reach the surface and remove or fix the contacts.

I think my plan will be to get a prescription mask to use in the water, and keep a pair of glasses with me for on land. Then also keep an extra pair of contacts and a regular blank mask as backup.

Thoughts? Experience? Advice for a pre-scuba'er?

Thanks for any input! :)

You can do that. But I have seen an instructor who wears contacts demonstrate mask removal and replacement multiple times without any issue. I used to use contacts diving, I didn't have any issues with them while diving. Over time I got less able to tolerate them and eventually got lasic.

i dont wear glasse anymore i did laser thats the best answer but not for everyone i did have 2 people in my class that did rx lenses and were very pleased rember even with 20/20 vision you cannot see very well without your mask under water when you take your mask off then put it on

It would depend on your preference. Do you wear contacts primarily now or would it be an occasional thing? I wear glasses mostly but have several boxes of one day disposable contacts and I take a handful with me when I go diving mostly because if I am on a boat I don't want to take my expensive glasses or sunglasses and then set them down while I dive and trust that something won't fall on them or get set on them or if I loose my mask I can switch to a backup or when I take my mask off I don't feel like Mr. Magoo. I've never lost a lense due to mask flooding and I've taken my mask totally off and switched it underwater.

I use soft lenses and have on ever single dive. No problems at all, even during mask removal and replacement. My ophthalmologist only recommended that I do it with daily lenses and I keep extras in a dry bag on the boat.

Contact wearer 30 plus years and been diving 7 of those years with my contacts. 30 day disposable soft contacts.

But different people have difference tolerences. I don't like getting saltwater in my eyes, with or without contacts, so I try and avoid it. Happens occassionally with a leaky mask but the irritation is brief. To remove/replace I keep my eyes shut until I am confident the mask is clear. Again I usually have some eye irritation but it is minor and resolves quickly.

I'm with uncfnp. Contacts are great. You are allowed to keep your eyes shut during mask remove/replace drills. I have on occasion opened my eyes underwater, and my contacts stayed more or less in place, stung for a while afterwards, but quickly resolved. I bring spare contacts on the boat, but I have never had to use them.

You can keep your eyes shut during mask removal, but I prefer to have them open, especially during an underwater no mask swim. I wear soft contacts and they've never come off when opening my eyes underwater. I do shut them briefly when flooding my mask so they don't get washed out, but once everything is filled with water opening them is fine. I usually pack my glasses in my truck in case they do so that I can drive home :) I'm getting ICL surgery in December though because my eyes don't tolerate contacts well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom