PADI logged dive??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In the PADI world, instructional dives must be logged and signed by the Instructor.

PADI released an update in the training bulletin 2014 2Q that this requirement was now removed.

The change reflects the trend for electronic dive logging....

Digital Dive Logs and Signing Requirement

The Paperwork and Administrative Procedures section of General Standards and Procedures in the PADI Instructor Manual states that as part of Documentation, you need to sign your divers’ training dive logs. Because many divers use digital logs, it presents a challenge to actually sign the log, therefore a signature is not required for digital logs.

Keep in mind that when logging training dives (in a digital or traditional format) the relevant training dive information (such as date, time, location, depth, profile, instructor name and PADI number, course and name of dive), should be included in the entry.

Please add the underlined text to the Documentation section number 5:

5. Have student divers log open water dives. Sign each diver’s log (unless it is a digital log.)

Yes, that is true, however it there is a paper log, it must be signed - it's in bold.

If the student has a "digital log" in OW, for example (i.e. scuba earth) the Instructor still has to vet the log online.

Let's pick nits.

@boulderjohn, I consider you lucky that you haven't seen that many incidents.

I've not been so fortunate and have seen more than my fair share of stupidity. I've been involved in over a half dozen rescues, including having to donate gas, control the other divers bouyancy while bringing them to the surface, & dealing with someone going catatonic. I've also witnessed divers cork to the surface from over 100' depth, run out of gas, panic, get completley wrapped in line (OW 30' deep), breathing dangerous nitrox mixes, and the list goes on... Sad part is I'm not nor have I ever been a DM or dive instructor. In other words, none of these were training dives and all were in OW (no caves or technical dives). :)

I logged a 123 minute (over 2 hours) dive with a maximum depth of 13 feet a couple of weeks ago at the blue heron bridge. Should I feel guilty?

I logged a 123 minute (over 2 hours) dive with a maximum depth of 13 feet a couple of weeks ago at the blue heron bridge. Should I feel guilty?
I do that a lot. No rules. No guilt for me.

@boulderjohn, I consider you lucky that you haven't seen that many incidents.
I guess I have been lucky. I have to admit that I realized not long ago that my recollection was somewhat faulty. Although I was not actually on the dives, I was in the vicinity of two serious incidents, one of which was a fatality and one of which was lucky not to be a fatality. (I was surprised to learn the diver lived, due to the tremendously skilled actions of his buddy.) Those two incidents were not really in the spirit of this thread. Both were highly skilled and highly experienced technical divers, and both incidents involved rebreathers in a cave.

I know that this question was about what qualifies as a logged dive when considering requirements for courses, but the following is my personal rules that make a dive become a logged dive.

On occasions, I do dives that are shallow or for very short durations. For example, cleaning the hull of my yacht which is max of 2 metres but can be for as long as 40 minutes or more. Secondly, a very short deeper dive to free an anchor. My rules are that as long as it is deeper than 10 metres it qualifies, no matter the time. Also, even if it is very shallow, as long as it is for more than 5 minutes and actually involves doing something (eg cleaning hull, freeing anchor, recovering an item), I will log. It also helps keep the log number in my dive computer in sync with my logbook.

I know that this question was about what qualifies as a logged dive when considering requirements for courses, but the following is my personal rules that make a dive become a logged dive.

On occasions, I do dives that are shallow or for very short durations. For example, cleaning the hull of my yacht which is max of 2 metres but can be for as long as 40 minutes or more. Secondly, a very short deeper dive to free an anchor. My rules are that as long as it is deeper than 10 metres it qualifies, no matter the time. Also, even if it is very shallow, as long as it is for more than 5 minutes and actually involves doing something (eg cleaning hull, freeing anchor, recovering an item), I will log. It also helps keep the log number in my dive computer in sync with my logbook.
Exactly what I do, substituting shell collecting (very shallow at times) for hull cleaning. A whole lot of my total logged dives don't meet the "standard" requirement for being an "official" dive, though I haven't figured out what % of my total that is.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom