PADI logged dive??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know that the revised PADI DM course as of about 2010 has a component of Deep and Search & Rescue dives. I was unaware that Night and Nav (beyond the one Nav dive required for AOW) dives were required. Is this true--is it new since 2010?

I don't think it has, I just checked my manual to be sure and I only see Deep Dive for DM course. I didn't see anything about a strictly navigation dive (there is the map making, which requires navigation to complete.) Then on the deep dive scenario, one of the objectives is "Navigate with a compass at least 20 kick cycles away from and back to the reference line or designated spot." That is all the information I could find on it. I completed my DM course November of 2015.

You do need to do a search and recovery for DM.

I have logged 136 dives and I don't see myself ready to be a divemaster. Yes I have CMAS 3 Star certificate which is equal to PADI divemaster but this number of dives are too low from my point of view that I'm not leading any dives. In order to be ready to be a divemaster you must have seen lots of incidents, must know what to do in real life panic or problems during dives. When everyone is looking at you and if you don't know what to do, this might have a high chance of tragic ending.

With just 60 dives do you really believe you will be able to catch a panicked diver and stop his/her ascending? Have you ever done that? Do you believe you will fix gear malfunctions? Do you believe you can control a group of 8 newbees for a whole dive?

People are under underestimating the dangers of scuba diving and doesn't have any idea about the responsibilities about the incidents.

Stop thinking of what to log and start concentrating on how to improve your skills. When they are all fine your number of logged dives will be far more than enough even if you logged half of them.
I agree with everything and only question one point-- In 600+ dives (though more than at least half solo) and having DMd for 4 years (now "retired"), I have yet to see any kind of really significant incident. Don't know what that indicates. Started the DM course after dive # 158. I think I did a decent job assisting with OW courses. I was fortunate to have everything go as smoothly as could be expected for the most part. For my own diving going forward I hope it stays that way, knock wood.

In order to be ready to be a divemaster you must have seen lots of incidents

Gosh, got some 100 something dives as well, have yet to see an incident. Maybe one that has "seen a lot of incidents" actually should NOT be a divemaster? :confused:

Gosh, got some 100 something dives as well, have yet to see an incident. Maybe one that has "seen a lot of incidents" actually should NOT be a divemaster? :confused:
I'm currently somewhere slightly north of a 100 logged dives. Never experienced nor witnessed an incident. Seen some moderately stupid stuff, and done my share of moderately stupid things myself, but no incidents that I can remember.

Guess I'll never be a DM. Fine with me, I'm not planning to go pro. It's possible I might take CMAS 3* some time to become better qualified to lead club dives, though.

I'm currently somewhere slightly north of a 100 logged dives. Never experienced nor witnessed an incident. Seen some moderately stupid stuff, and done my share of moderately stupid things myself, but no incidents that I can remember.

Some divers have a low threshold of "incident" and moderately stupid things might qualify. Anything short of a serious injury, I just file under training dive.

Bob

I agree with everything and only question one point-- In 600+ dives (though more than at least half solo) and having DMd for 4 years (now "retired"), I have yet to see any kind of really significant incident.

I'm currently somewhere slightly north of a 100 logged dives. Never experienced nor witnessed an incident.

More than 10 years ago, I was not far away from an incident that was the result of a diver putting her gear on a used tank without checking, which meant she ran out of air at almost the beginning of the dive. I did not see it, but she calmly took her buddy's alternate, and they made a controlled, safe ascent. That is the only "incident" I have ever witnessed. I have twice seen divers with poor buoyancy control get a quick lesson from a DM.

That's it.

I am always surprised when people report all the horrors they witness. I have seen some divers who skills need some work, and I have seen divers damaging reefs through poor skills, but I have never seen the dangerous behaviors some others seem to see on nearly every dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom