Training/Diving buddy search in UAE

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Im doing my UTD crossover, I need to do my IDC prep beforehand and its better when done with someone doing a Fundamentals of Rec or Tech course. Hit me up if you are keen to do this together

So far what I've learned:
GUE Fundies: we need a group of 3 or 6 ppl (can do a class with 2 instructors). The options are either 4 days in a row or 2 weekends (I can do only the weekends).
While they used to run Fundies in ProDive in Jebel Ali, seems like the preference is now either Abu Dhabi or Fujeirah - but this increases the cost drastically as students pay for the accommodation and transportation for instructors + gas. The price is quite higher comparing to US (based on the forum), but if it's Dubai - manageable (PM for details).
UTD Essentials: 3 ppl per group, 2 weekends (the instructors prefer to prolong the course), pool sessions in Jumeirah 2, open water - out from Jumeirah 2 beach (which worries me). They have got the DIR gear for rentals if needed. The price is almost the same as Fundies (but don't need to pay for transport, hotel and gas).
To be honest - I still haven't made my mind which one to take. I'm planning to do it either during Ramadan or in August. Will keep you guys posted.

On another good note, Divers Down are expanding their operations in Dubai and apparently are getting a boat here within 1 months - so we are going to have another operator (and I like the team here as I see them often in my pool =)).
+ they have a Dive Rite shop here on the Palm with quite a good selection of gear and accessories (damn, I live next door to the shop and find this out only in a year time)...

Try and find a guy called Ali Fikree, he has started running more and more DIR courses. Not for me, the rigidity of their system is not something that appeals to me, but horses for courses

Keep me posted too Roman. As you already know I am also interested, and if in Ramadan then maybe I can work on going on weekends with my schedule :) Yes, the prices are a bit much for GUE Fundies here, I contacted all 3 instructors available (they kinda work in cooperation with each other). They are very helpful and nice, but even if it is Dubai, I don't see why the prices need to be so much more. My 2 cents anyway.

Hey guys. I will be searching for buddies in UAE to do a fundamentals course in the near future. My wife has just secured a job in Abu Dhabi and I will be flying over from Saudi as often as I can. I could even offer up some free accommodation if we do it in Abu Dhabi as we will have some accommodation there.

Otherwise I don't mind driving up to Furijah or Dubai. Accommodation is always cheap if you want to share :). Was looking to do the course at weekends. I'm not that experienced only 30 dives so will be starting from scratch in terms of my technical training. I'm am looking at just doing rec to start with and then moving to tech when I'm ready.

Any way be nice to hear from you guys I've only been to Dubai and there didn't seem to be a lot of diving there. I've heard furijah is very nice.

If not for fundies then be nice to get together with you guys for a dive in any case!

Take care

Dave

PS. She doesn't start until September so looking after that!

Hi Guys,

I'm doing a GUE doubles primer course 26th & 27th August. I have one buddy already but I think there is at least one more space if anyone wants please feel free to contact Ali Fikree through the GUE website.

Thinking about doing fundamentals on 30th September - 3rd of October. Still looking for a buddy for that. If anyone is interested let me know.

Will also be looking for buddies to dive in UAE can dive Abu Dhabi / Dubai / Fujairah. Twinset non tech moving on to Tech when I eventually get round to doing the courses. Anyone interested let me know!

Dave

Hey Dave
Hit me up on PM and I'll put you in touch with some UTD guys here, Im also keen to go diving whenever you feel like it.
I think that the GUE and UTD approach are pretty similar where it matters, should be pretty easy to get some DIR buddies lined up

Brendon

I might be over in Jeddah to do some diving over a long weekend in August before my visa expires, are you still based there Dave?

Searcaigh I am there however I away getting married over the entire month of August. Sorry mate. Will be back after Doubles (28th August)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom