Sorong Jakarta Safe Layover Time Before International

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fabiocassa

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi everybody,
we’re a group of 4 people planning to visit Raja Ampat next October, we will gather in Jakarta
(I’m arriving from Italy, 2 from Washington DC, 1 from Moscow) and will travel toghether to Raja
since we keep reading about flight delay/cancellation, we are a bit concerned about the
layover times between domestic and international flights especially on our return
We are considering to take the Sriwijaya direct flight Sorong – Jakarta
This flight departs at 11:30 and (hopefully) arrives to Jakarta at 13:40

Our international flights home would be in the evening (from 22:00 to 00.05)

In your opinion, is this layover time safe enough or it’s too tight?
Thank in you in advance for your help

I just did this a few weeks ago. We flew Garuda from Sorong-Makassar-Jakarta...and then connected onto Singapore Airlines in Jakarta (SIngapore-Frankfurt-New York). We had to claim our bags in Jakarta and re-check at the front of the airport with Singapore Airlines. We had a 3 hour 45 layover and this was plenty of time. Signage was not overly helpful in terms of where to go to recheck. Basic advice is that all check-in desks are upstairs 1 level from baggage claim...ask at an information desk once you are upstairs to help find the check in desk for your airline (5 minute walk for us).

This was my first trip to Indonesia, but our experience on all of our flights with Garuda was very positive. The flights seemed to depart a little late, but Garuda seemed to have lots of flex built into their departure-arrival times....so arrival for all flights was pretty much on time.

Hope this helps.

Chris

You'll have to take a shuttle or a taxi to change terminal at Jakarta Airport.
You'd be safer with domestic Garuda (includes 23kg sport equipment free) having a good arrival ontime record.

That said, if you are scheduled to arrive at 2PM and fly back home at 10PM, 8 hours is more than enough to cover a less than 5 hours delay, the luggage collection at Jakarta, a terminal change and the check in 1,5 hour before international departure.

Thanks a lot Large diver & Luko, that's reassuring :)
Luko I'll reseach Garuda and see if their flights would fit our schedule
does anybody have experience with Sriwijaya? I liked the fact that it's a direct flight
according to the info I gathered on the web they seem reliable
ciao
Fabio

I'm also researching this route at the moment. With our international flight leaving Jakarta at 19.25, the Garuda flight gives us less than three hours layover which seems to be a bit tight. Would the Sriwijaya flight give us enough time (5 and a half hours if it arrives on time)?
Express Air have a direct flight Sorong-Jakarta 10.45 - 12.25 which seems to be the best bet for us. The comparison sites don't list this airline. Does anyone have experiences of flying with Express ?
Thanks in advance for any advice.

One other datapoint...I forgot that in Jakarta we ended up taking an earlier Singapore Airlines flight than our original schedule, since the woman offered it at check-in. As a result, our window was 2:45 and this still seemed to be plenty of time. That said, we were in the same terminal (Garuda-Singapore Airlines...both were in Terminal 2).....as we could walk from one to the other. If switching terminals, might be a different story.

Hi Val, this 10.25 express air flight seems interesting as well, I've no clue whether is reliable and have good on time performance also...

I took Express from Jakarta to Sorong. While it was a horribly uncomfortable flight, it was on time. Upon our return, I was taking a different route to Bali and therefore a different airline. We were delayed by hours, however, the Express flights all seemed to be leaving on time. This maybe purely anecdotal and may have been because of a storm system near Makassar, which was our stop on the way to Bali.

I have flown all of the airlines and have always gotten to my destinations in a timely fashion, not counting a lion air flight that was 5 hours delayed in Labuan Bajo. Probably late more on Garuda, but I also fly Garuda more with it being my first choice. (FYI you know you are in trouble with Garuda if you see the box lunches come out). I think you will be ok with the 8 hour layover :wink:

Back
Top Bottom