Wall Dives as Part of OW Certification Checkout Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

5,000, 7,000, if it 500 or more it does not matter how deep.

I was about to post the same think. Anything below say 100m is irrelevant in terms of depth.

I was going to post "I don't mind dives with a 3000' bottom but those 7000' bottoms scare the crap out of me" Tongue in cheek :D

Its all in the mind. I actually find it a buzz knowing how deep it is.

From a new divers perspective though I can understand it might be a bit unnerving. Just remember though if you are faced with things like this, keep it in perspective and its not so scary.

I was about to post the same think. Anything below say 100m is irrelevant in terms of depth.
Anything below 40 is not something an OW student will easily come back from if he drops there, but that's just my opinion...

Anything below 40 is not something an OW student will easily come back from if he drops there, but that's just my opinion...

Totally agree. I think the point some of us was making was to state 7000' is irrelevant if you look at it in perspective. As you say OW 40m, me personally 100m.

To an OW student mention 7000' and they are terrified, but mention 150' and they may not be scared, however either is probably deadly to them.

With regard to PADI, there is no requirement for a "hard bottom".

That said... I'd never conduct OW checkout dives at a site without a hard bottom that was within the standards for max depth.

That said... I'd never conduct OW checkout dives at a site without a hard bottom that was within the standards for max depth.

hahaha...we often have a hard time finding 40 feet.

As with so many things, “it depends”. I’d never take a large open water class over a wall. However, on a couple of occasions I have taken a pair of open water students down a wall to 55 feet on dive three of their training after first assessing them on dives one and two and after discussing it with them. With some I would have likely done it on dive two (but not as deep) if it were convenient. Invariably they loved their wall dive.

In the case reported by the OP the instructor violated depth standards and imo violated courtesy by not first discussing it with the student to get a feel for comfort level.

Wow, thank you very much for all the responses, recent students and instructors. So much of what has been written here makes sense to me, thank you.

At the time of OW Dive 2, what a friend had told me some time prior came in really handy. He'd said, "just keep breathing, you can solve for most everything else". I simply kept looking at the Instructor in case he asked me to perform a skill while breathing nice and slow...

Back
Top Bottom