a not so noticeable carrying case for air travel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ASA400

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi guys!

I'm looking for a suitable case to carry my housing, ports, lights and associated accessories when traveling by air. Right now I use a Think Tank Airport International roller for all my stuff, but I'm a little worried about checking that case as it is so recognizable as a camera case.

One of the guys I know who does a lot (and I mean A LOT) of air travel with his gear said he uses a fiberglass ice chest with wheels. He just stuffs his clothing around the housing, ports, lights, etc. That sounds like a good idea, but I can't figure out how to make sure the case stays closed. And my buddy is out of touch for a while.

Anybody have any ideas?

I always used my hard sided Samsonite suitcase---half for dive gear, half for clothes. Packed a duffle for the diving itself.

Hi guys!

I'm looking for a suitable case to carry my housing, ports, lights and associated accessories when traveling by air. Right now I use a Think Tank Airport International roller for all my stuff, but I'm a little worried about checking that case as it is so recognizable as a camera case.

One of the guys I know who does a lot (and I mean A LOT) of air travel with his gear said he uses a fiberglass ice chest with wheels. He just stuffs his clothing around the housing, ports, lights, etc. That sounds like a good idea, but I can't figure out how to make sure the case stays closed. And my buddy is out of touch for a while.

Anybody have any ideas?

A really crappy, really ugly hard-shell sampsonite suitcase that you buy at a garage sale, filled with custom cut foam.

That is a dead give-away.......One of the reasons I shoot a P&S with wet macro/WA lenses.....I get everything in my camera pack pack-----& carry it above my head in the overhead compartment---OR--even one time when there was NO overhead room left on a red-eye from LA to Houston, it road under the seat in front of me on the floor(I stuck my feet out in the aisle)......:)

Carry on only. Don't check your camera gear or you won't have a vacation to bother with. My suitcase arrived in Bali with half of a battery charger and missing plug adapters. I use a rolling case for my housing and dome, packed with socks and underwear for the overhead and I carry my courier bag with my camera bag stuffed in it, along with my magazines and sweatshirt for under the seat.

It can depend on where you are going. Many of the airlines in the Asian rim restrict carry on to 7 kilos. My last flight from Honolulu to Manila on Philippine Airlines involved them not only weighing my check in bag but also weighing my carry on twice, once at check in and again at the boarding gate. They weighed my backpack and my laptop case each time.

Many people are using the ThinkTank Airport line of roller bags (myself included). Not cheap but they're quality and do pop up used.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

That Think Tank looks interesting.

---------- Post added August 29th, 2015 at 01:47 PM ----------

What ever you get, remove anything that might identify it as a dive bag or camera bag. You need to make it look like it is probably filled with dirty underwear. It should look like a suitcase a hitch hiking student, traveling Europe, looking for a Hostel might have. If it looks brand new......well.

Back
Top Bottom