New SB.com member - Info on equipment for my 14 daughter.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They're also missing the "14 year old girl" aspect.

She probably wouldn't object to wearing something that looks like a vest, with a tank on the back, but might not be so warm and fuzzy about being strapped on to a steel plate.

Not sure what you are implying here, but as the father of a daughter, it sounds a bit patronizing to me (unless I am misunderstanding you).

:)

It happens every time.

They're also missing the "14 year old girl" aspect.

She probably wouldn't object to wearing something that looks like a vest, with a tank on the back, but might not be so warm and fuzzy about being strapped on to a steel plate.

Strapped onto a steel plate - really - are we being a little melodramatic ?

Glad to see we have our priorities straight here in the fashion show of scuba. Maybe she should leave off the tank as well. After all what teen wants to be seen parading around with a metal tank on her bag and we also got to do something about the wetness of scuba as she spent 40 mins this morning getting her hair right and makeup done - don't want to mess that now do we !!! :wink:

Actually my 15 year old loves her steel plate and more importantly loves the dives that she gets from it - but yes that salt water does mess with her hair - gotta love em :)

Why are so many of you threatened by the mere mention of a BP/W. It is a perfectly good option for a buoyancy control device and there are all kinds of reasons why it can make sense for so many different kinds of divers but each time it is mentioned so many go on the defensive.

My 4'4" daughter now fully grown at 4'11' certified at 10 and is now 15. She has a small BP/W and she loves it. She struggled with a couple of jackets and once she tried the BP/W it felt like a dream. She loved the fact that it fitted her perfectly (and continues to), she loved the fact that it did not constrict her, she loved the freedom of it and as the financier of her equipment I love the fact that over the years it will likely be the cheapest option.

It never bothered her that it was not colorful or pretty. I guess she just loved the fact that it was so comfortable and helped her to become a better diver.

i think your last sentence in your statement is why people get defensive the thought that if you get this piece of equipment you will be a better diver. Practice makes you better not the equipment I do think that when your skills get to a certain level equipment choices can enhance your diving but it's not going to make you a good diver.

i think your last sentence in your statement is why people get defensive the thought that if you get this piece of equipment you will be a better diver. Practice makes you better not the equipment I do think that when your skills get to a certain level equipment choices can enhance your diving but it's not going to make you a good diver.

No, she became a better diver because after trying several other options, she was finally comfortable in her buoyancy control device and wasn't fighting her equipment. For her it was the perfect choice. I am absolutely not suggesting that everyone should be diving one and I am certain that not one solution fits all but I am equally certain that it is absolutely a viable option for anyone looking to invest in their own equipment.

I totally agree that it is very good option and your daughter did what everybody should due and try several options and find what works best for her. My point was that I read too many posts that suggest that a BP/W is what you need to make you a great diver and I feel you and your daughter did the correct thing and try several options and come to your own conclusion of what works for you and you will also learn along the way.

As fast as kids grow, I too recommend bpw. DSS makes a short kydex plate and a tiny wing, which is what I dive . I'm 5'1". If she has a favorite color you can order colorful webbing for the harness. Webbing is cheap and you can re - harness it as she grows or changes color prefrence...lol its a teenager thing.

If that's not what you have in mind, consider Dive Rite trade-in program for kids. It's pretty cool. They up size the harness for free.
http://www.diverite.com/products/kids/

doctormike:
Not sure what you are implying here, but as the father of a daughter, it sounds a bit patronizing to me (unless I am misunderstanding you).
I think I understand what he is saying. When my middle daughter was 15, she completed her OW in a jacket BCD. Soon after that, we went by the shop where I taught, and she looked at a Zena, which she seemed to particularly like. But, shortly after that, I took her out on a coastal dive charter and put her in a SS BP / W, as that was the extra rig I had at the moment. BEFORE she dove it, on the boat ride to the site, I heard a lot of grumbling / complaining / etc. - 'It is uncomfortable.', 'I don't like this', etc. After she got out of the water after the first dive, she decided loved it, and has not dove anything but a BP since then. I do think that is a challenge at times for teenagers, and teenage females are picky enough already, they don't need added incentive by being placed in a rig that looks, well, different. (I say that as the father of three (now adult) daughters.)

There is nothing wrong with a BP / W for a teenage female, but the visual image at first can be a put-off.

I think I understand what he is saying. When my middle daughter was 15, she completed her OW in a jacket BCD. Soon after that, we went by the shop where I taught, and she looked at a Zena, which she seemed to particularly like. But, shortly after that, I took her out on a coastal dive charter and put her in a SS BP / W, as that was the extra rig I had at the moment. BEFORE she dove it, on the boat ride to the site, I heard a lot of grumbling / complaining / etc. - 'It is uncomfortable.', 'I don't like this', etc. After she got out of the water after the first dive, she decided loved it, and has not dove anything but a BP since then. I do think that is a challenge at times for teenagers, and teenage females are picky enough already, they don't need added incentive by being placed in a rig that looks, well, different. (I say that as the father of three (now adult) daughters.)

There is nothing wrong with a BP / W for a teenage female, but the visual image at first can be a put-off.

I think that the reason why people who dive BP/Ws tend to push them in the context of these threads is that (1) the vast majority of certified divers have never heard of them, let alone considered them when looking for their first BCD, and (2) many of those who have heard of them tend to just assume that the standard myths are true and dismiss them without ever having dived one (they are uncomfortable, they are more expensive, they are hard to use, they are only for tech diving). Add to that the fact that the vast majority of dive shops don't carry them, so they are unable to actually see one, much less try one.

So unless we make this point, most new divers will never consider them at all, and I think that's a shame. I don't want to start the same old discussion again, but I really don't see any advantage of a jacket BC over a BP/W, and the backplate has a lot of advantages. Some people don't agree with me, but lots of those people haven't actually dived one.

There are plenty of posts on this site saying "I finally got a BP/W, and I'm never going back to a jacket". A lot fewer the other way around. If so many people who have tried both prefer the BP/W, then maybe it's at least worth considering before dismissing. That's all.

I think that the reason why people who dive BP/Ws tend to push them in the context of these threads is that (1) the vast majority of certified divers have never heard of them, let alone considered them when looking for their first BCD, and (2) many of those who have heard of them tend to just assume that the standard myths are true and dismiss them without ever having dived one (they are uncomfortable, they are more expensive, they are hard to use, they are only for tech diving). Add to that the fact that the vast majority of dive shops don't carry them, so they are unable to actually see one, much less try one.

So unless we make this point, most new divers will never consider them at all, and I think that's a shame. I don't want to start the same old discussion again, but I really don't see any advantage of a jacket BC over a BP/W, and the backplate has a lot of advantages. Some people don't agree with me, but lots of those people haven't actually dived one.

There are plenty of posts on this site saying "I finally got a BP/W, and I'm never going back to a jacket". A lot fewer the other way around. If so many people who have tried both prefer the BP/W, then maybe it's at least worth considering before dismissing. That's all.

I do not think I could have said it better.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

My daughter was certified at age 10, and my 11 year old son was just certified last week. Both of them are using a Diverite Transpac - size small. Although I use a ss bp+wings, the soft backpack of the transpac ended up being perfect for the kids. I would say that it is a little more comfortable out of the water, which is usually when kids will complain about the feel of their gear. If you keep an eye on ebay, used transpac with wings in the smaller sizes can be had for less than $200.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom