Coroner: Diver dies after being found at Dutch Springs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pedro Burrito

Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Coroner: Diver dies after being found at Dutch Springs - Morning Call

May 24, 2014|By Bill Landauer, Of The Morning Call

LOWER NAZARETH TOWNSHIP

Coroner says man dies after found at Dutch Springs

A Philadelphia-area man died Saturday afternoon after being found unresponsive at a local scuba divers' lake, the Northampton County coroner said.

pixel.gif

pixel.gif

Pax Williams, 54, of the Philadelphia area was found underwater at about 1 p.m. Saturday at Dutch Springs in Lower Nazareth Township, said Northampton County Coroner Zachary Lysek.

Williams was transported to St. Luke's Hospital-Anderson in Bethlehem Township, where resuscitative efforts continued, Lysek said. He eventually was declared dead.

The cause and manner of death are pending investigation, Lysek said.

— Bill Landauer

Whenever I see such tragic news about a diver being found either floating or underwater on their own I wonder about his/her buddy . Do they dive without buddies or do they just get lost or separated? Always sad to get news of a diving related death. Condolences to his loved ones.

My daughters and I were at Dutch Springs on Saturday when this happened. I was diving and didn't know anything had happened until I came up from the dive and saw the ambulances in the parking lot.

My buddy and I witnessed this tragedy unfold. DS staff did a commendable job trying to revive him. My condolences and prayers to his family.

Whenever I see such tragic news about a diver being found either floating or underwater on their own I wonder about his/her buddy . Do they dive without buddies or do they just get lost or separated? Always sad to get news of a diving related death. Condolences to his loved ones.

Very sad, I agree. I wonder about the buddy as well. I know it is early but, quite often, the details do not come out at all. I dive Dutch solo all the time. If this was the case of a person diving solo without the knowledge of the DS staff, I'd like to know that. If not, it will likely affect their policy.

It's very easy to get separated from your buddy on a busy day at Dutch. I would But necessarily assume he was solo. It's not the Caribbean.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

It's very easy to get separated from your buddy on a busy day at Dutch. I would But necessarily assume he was solo. It's not the Caribbean.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Agree - I just would like to know.

I was at Dutch during this incident and my presumption was that he was indeed a solo diver. There was no one around with any information on the diver and no one signaled for help during the ordeal, it was spotted by a DS watch person.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited:
I was there as well finishing my OW and Dry Suite certs. Came up from our second dive on Saturday and saw the ambulance on the peninsula. We went over the the food shack and one of the kids working for DS may the comment that "they found a body". This implies to me that he was indeed diving solo. Not much else was said by anyone.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom