Active diver re-certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To clarify my advice before about taking a refresher if you do 25 dives in a month then none for the rest of the year--I was thinking this may be a good idea in general, regardless of club rules. I'm not a joiner, and get a feeling this club has too many "rules" anyway.

As an active diver (25 dives a year) would you join a club that wants you to do an OW pool certification every year?

No... I wouldn't, but I guess all the other members of that club would.

Eh, it depends. On its face it sounds like a couple of people have a great thing going and are getting a couple of free spots on trips by having a guaranteed group going with them. If however they are using these "re-certs" to negotiate for better trips for members: better dives sites, waiving the first "skills" dive that some destinations want, etc. because the ops trust the caliber of diver in the club then it might be worth it.

A question that keeps coming up is what do you gain from being a member of this group?

Richard.

The only real advantage is more people to dive with, but nothing else.

---------- Post added April 23rd, 2014 at 09:09 AM ----------

If I lived somewhere where the nearest open water was three hours away, I think I'd consider $10 to get in a pool and blow some bubbles would be a bargain. Our local pools charge $25 an hour for a LANE. And getting to refresh your emergency procedures would be a bonus.

The group expects you to do three trips a year with them -- trips where? Is the group making money from these trips? Are they trips to places you want to go? I can see the benefit of having known people (who have had to keep their skills sharp :) ) to travel with, if you are going to do the types of trips that are involved anyway. It sounds as though you have to travel to ocean dive at all, so if these trips are ones you would do anyway, why not?

On the other hand, if somebody profits from them and you are required to do them, what's the benefit to you of belonging to the group at all?
For me getting in a pool is free any time it's open. for others in this area getting in a pool is only an tank rental or air fill if you have your own tanks. so that's no big deal. Since I do alot of trips by myself they've asked me to help them plan some trips. but I agree if it's not somewhere I want to go then I'm not going just because.

I'm going to give this a BIG HELL NO! And are you taking part in such a club, and if so why?
No I'm not a member, I just wanted some other points of views

Not a chance, saving my money for actual dives. :wink:

Besides, last club I was with were forcing people to finish their dive and be on the boat with over 1000 psi. 700 is good enough for me.
Also I was diving with people who had 1000 psi left and I had 1700 psi left. half a dive wasted LOL
Also power tripping and too many restrictions.
I would never replace safety, always the first and most important when I dive.
Lets see is my tank on? :wink:

As an active diver (25 dives a year) would you join a club that wants you to do an OW pool certification every year?

Probably not. I might rethink that if the club was truly worth my time because they were very very active and well organized.

---------- Post added April 23rd, 2014 at 09:32 AM ----------

I am a strong believer in occasional retraining just to hone old, and develop new skills, but not because someone else tells me I need to do so to fit into their little group.

My rule of thumb for anyone going on a dive trip with me ( Debbie included) is that if you have not been in the water on scuba in the last 90 days, we do a refresher together in the pool before we go. There is no cost, as we access the LDC on site pool after hours.
DivemasterDennis

Wow, I thought that $15/day was pretty high here in Key Largo. Or I can go to Pennekamp and dive off the shore for free.

Clubs run into problems when they become too restrictive or have too many rules. What are you benefits to joining such a club? Are you charged for the re-qual? If so, it appears that the rules are only to enrich the instructors. I'd love to see a video of the class they offer.

In retrospect, the only dive club I ever joined was this thing called ScubaBoard. :D

For several years we visited Beaches, T&C each Feb.

The op requires every diver to demonstrate basic skills in their pool before they can book dives. No big deal, but several times I watched divers stalk off in anger, refusing. :shakehead:

There was no cost to us, and I welcome any chance to play. I realized just watching divers set up their gear and do a couple basic skills helped the op avoid potential disasters.

Back
Top Bottom