Active diver re-certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I belong to a club here in Hawaii (Kaimana Divers). Cost is minimal and we get reduced rates for all boat dives and have occasional shore dives with BBQ's and social functions. There are no restrictions other than you have a proper cert for the dives being done. The instructors all know us and our capabilities. It's good business for the dive shop and helps keep the boat going during the off-season.

My rule of thumb for anyone going on a dive trip with me ( Debbie included) is that if you have not been in the water on scuba in the last 90 days, we do a refresher together in the pool before we go. There is no cost, as we access the LDC on site pool after hours.
DivemasterDennis

For several years we visited Beaches, T&C each Feb.

The op requires every diver to demonstrate basic skills in their pool before they can book dives. No big deal, but several times I watched divers stalk off in anger, refusing. :shakehead:

There was no cost to us, and I welcome any chance to play. I realized just watching divers set up their gear and do a couple basic skills helped the op avoid potential disasters.

How would you feel if that asked you do to a full OW pool session, including swim test? that's a little different than basic skills.

How would you feel if that asked you do to a full OW pool session, including swim test? that's a little different than basic skills.

I do the swim test a couple of times per week anyway :)

I think all divers should be able to do all of the basic skills. The swim test (IMHO) is more of a comfirmation of physical fitness and could easily be replaced with running or cycling or something else. Unfortunately, many OW divers let these skills lapse, and also get out of shape. So, I commend this scuba club for trying to ensure its members stay current on their skills, but at the same time it probably does drive some members away (maybe they aren't interested in retaining those members). Personally, the cost would be the indicative factor for me participating in such a club. I have no problem with practicing basic skills and it would be a bonus to get a little exercise at the same time, but not interested in paying for the opportunity to do so (other than my share of the pool time).

I'm not sure what you mean by "OW pool session". Is it just one or all of them (i.e. the whole OW course less the academic portion)?

I will agree that at some point it does become overkill.

I do not think the 25 dives a year is an accurate metric to demonstrate diving skills level. I have seen people dive persistently after OW certification but never improving as divers let alone emergency skills that are never practiced other than in a dive emergency. Thankfully dive emergencies are rare but you do not need to have to remember how to buddy breath or handle a free flowing regulator in the rare occasion you need to perform such skills. So the pool review is not a bad idea all together.

I do the swim test a couple of times per week anyway :)

I think all divers should be able to do all of the basic skills. The swim test (IMHO) is more of a comfirmation of physical fitness and could easily be replaced with running or cycling or something else. Unfortunately, many OW divers let these skills lapse, and also get out of shape. So, I commend this scuba club for trying to ensure its members stay current on their skills, but at the same time it probably does drive some members away (maybe they aren't interested in retaining those members). Personally, the cost would be the indicative factor for me participating in such a club. I have no problem with practicing basic skills and it would be a bonus to get a little exercise at the same time, but not interested in paying for the opportunity to do so (other than my share of the pool time).

I'm not sure what you mean by "OW pool session". Is it just one or all of them (i.e. the whole OW course less the academic portion)?

I will agree that at some point it does become overkill.

The whole open water pool course. I also agree with staying physically fit, but just because I can swim the laps and float on my back for 10 mins doesn't mean I'm physically fit.

The problem I have with all this is it seems another money grab, the honest truth is if you dive, you need to know how to handle situations like a free flow, at depth, low on air, these things are never practiced, how bout entanglement. the clubs go over boyancy control mostly. If your going to run a club and do skills development and practice, then go over them all consistantly. The tendancy for club dive masters seems to be powertripping. my way or the highway. everyone has different skill levels and taught where there comfortable doing things a certain way. If its safe and works then it must be right. Diving is meant to be relaxing and exciting. Lets keep it that way. You dont need to be Johnny Weissmuller to dive. LOL Practice your breathing skills, always go over your gear set up in your mind to stay fresh when your not diving. Check your equipment, get it serviced at propper intervals. Have fun!!!

I am really surprised at the amount of anger coming out here about being asked to review basic skills. Now, if we're talking the whole OW pool work (which is nine hours in the water with our shop, and I think would be hard to do much faster) that's a bit much. But what is wrong with going methodically through the 20 skills, some of which I would be willing to bet NOBODY has had to use since OW?

Through a strange combination of circumstances, I will be diving as a third buddy for a GUE Cave 1 class in December. I passed this class in 2008, and went on to Full Cave. There is no benefit to me in terms of access or cards, to spend five days working my butt off and having somebody critique everything I do -- except that I don't think you can ever be too good at cave diving, and I know I haven't had to use many of the emergency procedures we were taught, because I dive carefully and don't get myself into trouble. Will those skills be sharp when and if I need them? I don't know, so I'm looking forward to having to review all of them.

It surprises me how many people seem to think that's an imposition.

So my SO was a member of a club that had all kinds of rules. Especially since the pres. was this guy who was working for the army as a civlian. He wanted to impose his views on everybody and people who opposed were being pestered. Quite a lot of members left. One of his rules was that you had to come to a pool session every week. But the pool was rented at 10 pm. My SO has to get up at 5.45. For me diving is freedom and I do not participate in nonsensical stuff. I have been diving for 45 years and still dive 50-75 times a year. Of course I do still learn, change over time, but not because somebody tells me I have to do openwater exams every year, but because I want to learn something, sometimes.

I would like to do this kind of skills review from time to time. But what I would resent is a dive club conditioning my continued membership on doing it annually, in a pool. I guess these kinds of rigid rules are why I am not attracted to joining clubs of any kind.

Btw I do agree with TSandM that training and reviewing basic skills once in a while is useful, but doing OW again and again is not that imho. For my work I train advanced life support and even that is done only once every 5 years ( ok we're professionals, so that is a bit different :) )

Back
Top Bottom