Buying Equipment for OW class online

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

em not sure about buying equipment on Amazon for the fitting reasons but if you've got credit and want to use it up I'm pretty sure you can get the OW (PADI) coursebook logbook etc etc

I ordered 90% of my gear online and never tried anything on prior to purchasing. I never stepped foot in a dive shop before I purchased basically everything but tanks, weights, a gear bag, and defog for my mask. Maybe I was lucky, but I didn't have any fit issues with anything I ordered. Prices vary tremendously from shop to shop, one example: rescue breathing mask. My local shop sells them for $9.00, which I think is very reasonable. I went into a shop in west palm near the BHB and the same mask was $29.50???????

There are tons of options and lets be honest, when you walk into any given dive shop you are being sold whatever they sell. If you pick out what you want and the shop is willing to price-match, by all means give that shop your business. Being a new diver, the process can be overwhelming and intimidating. For every good shop out there with fair prices, there is a bad one that will rape your wallet. if you don't do your homework or know any better chances are you will overpay which makes no logical sense.

Have you asked the LDS if they sell on amazon? Lots of them do and it will allow you to use your amazon balance and get fitted properly.

its like sayin you shouldnt go to a local retail store try on clothes or whatever and then buy online if theres a better deal
You shouldn't. Now if you go to a Sears store and then buy from Sears.com then you really aren't hurting them. However, if you try on a VanHeusen shirt at Sears and then buy it from another vendor, then it's my opinion you're being boorish, dishonest and unethical. An LDS that will match (within reason) internet pricing is a find! Stick with them like glue. Finding an LDS that is active on ScubaBoard and matches prices is truly a rare gem. The other day I was in Divers Direct and tried on a mask. Given my connections, I could probably have contacted the manufacturer and gotten them to send me the mask for free. I still bought the mask from DD as it was the ethical thing to do.

Disclaimer: for the most part, I buy from ScubaBoard e-tailers, Dive Right In Scuba and Scuba.com. They are SB friendly, not just tolerant, and they have never left me in the lurch. Great prices and the gear is here pretty darn quick. Unlike most, I am surrounded by Scuba shops since I live in the Keys. Most of my gear comes from these two e-tailers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom