Grand Cayman Diving - Sunset House as good as it sounds?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LOL....thanks for the rant. This is really just what I wanted to hear.

I'm beginning to realize that planning the trips, and the uncertainty of the adventure is all part of the pleasure and discovery of my new sport.

Zera

Zerathorn, it's hard to have a bad experience in GC regardless of where you stay or who you dive with. The experience will vary between very good and great.
Look for a dive op that has the combination of big boats and small groups so that you are not crowded. My preferences are DNS, Wall to Wall and Ocean Frontiers, but there are lots of other excellent operators. I try to stay away from operators that pack on a crowd or cater to cruise shippers.
I agree with caymaniac re the relative quality of the different locations in the Caymans, but it's all good.

When on GC, we rent a condo at the north end of Seven Mile Beach and dive North or East depending on conditions.
One of the dive magazines has a readers choice section annually that ranks islands resorts, wall, wreck, macro, shore diving etc. I don't agree 100% and commercial interests may flavour the rankings, but this will give you a fair idea of what's good in the Caribbean.

Thanks all for the responses. At this point as a "newbie" to diving, my short term (2 yrs) goals are getting AOWD, and some specialties

I did a course some years ago with Divetech. IMHO being able to do course dives from shore is a real advantage. Take as long as needed on the classroom stuff, then go dive when ready. Not having to fit in with a boat schedule is great.

Another thought OP, if you travel a few miles farther, LC or Brac is even better(diving)---but only if you like(or think you'll like) valet diving......If you have any Qs, get back with me....

Me and my wife are looking at Sunset House for a couple of days diving next year... their package includes dive masters breakfast. What the heck is a "dive masters breakfast"?

It's the breakfast served in the SeaHarvest Restaurant. Sea Harvest Restaurant - Sunset House

DiveMaster’s Breakfast Menu

CI$12.00

Choice of Cereal: Raisin Bran, Corn Flakes, Frosted Flakes. Orange or Grape Fruit Juice
White or Whole Wheat Toast
Coffee or Tea
Your Choice Of One Of The Following:
• Two Eggs Any Style
• French Toast With Syrup
• Pancakes
• Cheese Omelet
• Western Omelet with Ham, Sweet Peppers and Onions.
• Vegetarian Omelet with Mushrooms, Onions, Sweet Peppers and Salsa.
• Ham & Cheese Omelet
• Breakfast Wrap with Scrambled Eggs, Sausage, Cheese and Salsa
• Tropical Fruit Plate

All Hot Entree’s Served With Choice Of Bacon Or Sausage

OP---was a great little place in the late 80's to early 90's....That's the last time I was there, right after Hurricane Gilbert I think it was......

Take a look at the reviews on Tripadvisor. It is an easy shore dive, but you might get a little bored with more than a days worth of diving there. The mermaid is cool, swim on out to the landing craft and navigate back to the mermaid. Time it so that you see the submarine. There are better shore dives: Turtle reef and Lighthouse point. Spendy place to stay the night. Bar isn't bad and the food is pretty good. We used them for the Kittiwake and their boat was nice. Get a car and dive and stay where you want.

My wife and I spent a week at Sunset House a few years ago. Then, we spent a week at Cobalt Coast. We've been back to Cobalt Coast for a total of seven trips. Here's why:

First, of course, is the accessible diving. Yes, both Sunset House and Cobalt Coast (Divetech) offer unlimited, 24 hour shore diving. But, Divetech offers two sites -- the house reef at Cobalt Coast and a mile down the iron shore at Lighthouse Point. I think Lighthouse Point is the best shore dive on the island. And, if you're a diving guest at Cobalt Coast, the transportation back and forth is free and readily available. For night diving, you can have dinner at Cobalt Coast, drop off the dock for a dive and come back for dessert.

The next thing we like about Cobalt Coast versus Sunset House is where you dive. Whenever possible, the boats at Cobalt Coast go to the north wall, which is well known for its dramatic reef architecture and opportunities to see larger fish and critters. You can't go there if you're diving with Sunset House.

We also like the accommodations at Cobalt Coast much better than the rooms at Sunset House. Cobalt Coast is like a European Inn -- only 20 rooms, and most of them are suites with a living area and separate bedroom and with huge European style bathtubs. The food at Cobalt Coast has a lot of variety -- from steaks to veggie to seafood to fish tacos to Indian. The daily specials and the chef's unique soups are hard to resist. (After our second visit to Cobalt Coast, we found we were eating all our meals at the hotel anyway and ever since we have opted for the generous meal plan. It's well worth it.)

Cobalt Coast also has one of the more entertaining bartenders on the island. It may not be a big bar with a lot of partying, like My Bar at Sunset House, but the quiet intimacy of Cobalt Coast's bar makes for great after-dive conversations with fellow divers and it's a nice way to wind down at the end of the day of diving.

One thing that is very unique to Cobalt Coast, which you won't find anywhere else on the island, is the level of hospitality and service provided by the owner, Arie, and the staff. I don't know of any other hotel where you are greeted when you step of the bus by the owner and the manager, Dora. Arie is always around, bussing tables at lunch, checking the coffee and the jams at breakfast (which just might include a jar of Dora's homemade mango jam). And, Arie always has a story and a moment to share it with you while you enjoy your lunch or dinner.

This service also extends to the Divetech staff. I very much like their unimposing style and their professionalism as well as their collective sense of humor. Christian has delivered some of the funniest, yet thorough dive briefings I've ever heard and watched. ("This is my favorite dive site. It's not where we actually are. It just happens to be my favorite and I enjoy drawing it.") It was because of the Divetech staff that I decided to spend a few days with them getting my AOW a few years ago. They are excellent teachers.

So, to boil down the comparisons between Cobalt Coast and Sunset House: If you want to party and do some diving, go to Sunset House. If you want to dive and have some nice meals and a night cap, go to Cobalt Coast. If you want to be close to George Town, go to Sunset House. If prefer a more quiet part of the island and don't care about shopping for T-shirts, go to Cobalt Coast.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom