Drysuit divers - End of nightmare with catheter removal!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Squat.

Tuck end of catheter under ball of foot.

Stand up quickly.

Job done.

I have to say, I'm literally laughing out loud in my office right now, just due to the mental image. The horror is fairly unique, and something no woman will EVER understand.

However, (back on topic) I have heard the heat trick....but for some of my diving that involves a 7 hour drive between diving and "removal" which is something I'm not a fan of trying out.

this method has worked for me and have always used it since my first removal experience

Not sure if this is the right forum for it, but I've found the solution for the above problem.

For anyone who has ever worn Rochester wide bands, you will understand what a nightmare the removal experience can be. It is very slow, painful and can take a long time. The glue just doesn't quit.

I've tried oiling the penis with a dab of baby oil prior to application to reduce the adhesive strength, applying a thin layer of talcum, tried using baby oil, alcohol wipes etc and I have to say that none has managed to remove the fear I feel on having to wear catheters for multiple day boat dives.

Well I think I have the answer. Its heat.

Just get into a shower with catheter still on, turn the water to as hot as you can bear, and spray the hot water on. Don't forget to spray the underside too. The heat softens the glue and makes it let go, and the catheter will pull right off.

Once its off, spray more hot water and using a nail scrape off whatever remnants of the glue that is left on the skin.

Try it and let me know how you like it!!

None of you dive enough. You just need to get out there and dive 4-5 days a week. Eventually you will build up some calluses and you won't even feel the catheter removal anymore. If you can't dive that often just wear a condom cath several days a week. That should have the same effect and you won't have to get up to go to the bathroom as often. :wink:

Love this thread! I usually have the luxury of removing the cath just after the last dive, so it must be body heat helping me, because I really can't relate to the whole nightmare pain scenario. On the other hand...I've used a couple of different brand of cath's, and I'm glad that the Rochesters are so "secure".

I've been told to try cutting it open from the bottom and then tearing it apart. Now standing there with a knife attacking your plumbing feels a bit creepy, but most of the time it helps a bit to reduce the pain. But I too agree that I rather have secure Rochesters than a very cold dive, a smelly car and an embarrassing dive to the washing machine in front of my wife when I get home. Even if it comes at a price..

After reading this thread: heat,chemicals a KNIFE! I’ll “stick”with the Depends. :)

I find that hair conditioner helps break down the adhesive for a less painful removal... And it keeps the frizzes at bay
images.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom