What to wear under a wet suit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When diving with a wet suite I have noticed I have to work to stuff my men's swim trucks into the wet suite and they are wrinkled and unruly when I take the wet suite off. I am slender but, would not particularity want to wear a speedo style bathing suite. Has anyone found anything similar to bicycle shorts that is better suited to getting into and out of a wet suite? A look at a beach shop the other week didn't reveal anything that looked like it would be better than what I currently wear.

I noticed a bicyclist the other day and wondered if those style shorts, made out of spandex or lycra would work. My fear they would remain wet long after a bathing suite starts to dry out.

Any thoughts?

Timeless and always in style. . .

mankini.jpg

Mankini

Timeless and always in style. . .

View attachment 158710
Recently I was on the Philippine Siren, there was an Ausie who pulled out his mankini for the final dive. It caused much laughter. Staying on topic - He was able to don his wetsuit easily.

900154-black-male-kiefer-p.e.-suit.jpghttp://www.kiefer.com/pe-swimwear-pages-43.phpphp

Keifer Male PE Suit $13.95 This is what I have worn for years. I found them originally in my PE class in college (undergrad 1974). I don't like tightness - these are loose,thin, don't bunch up, and keep you decent. They are also inexpensive, colorfast/withstand chlorine, dry quickly, and are very comfortable under a wetsuit. I have a number of them - keep an extra in each dive bag.

This subject is a perennial favorite for scubaboarders. It usually degenerates into xenophobic comments about Europeans, fat guts, and what not. I found it interesting that even the scubasnobs dedicate space to it.

Bottom line, Wear whatever you want. The question isn't what you wear under your wetsuit, but what others think about what they have to look at on you between dives or as you get in and out of your suit. If you want to wear swim briefs, great. You paid for your spot on the boat, not them. Square legs and jammers are a bit more modest, if modesty is your thing great. Between dives, if you are bothered by what people think of your appearance, wear a cheap pair of gym shorts over your jammers, square legs or briefs. chances are you are going to leave it on the boat at some point so don't spend too much. swimoutlet.com is a great source. I have worn almost everything people have mentioned except boardshorts, too uncomfortable. I have found a reasonable alternative is short outseam Birdwell beach britches. as boardshorts they are unlined, long enough for modesty yet short enough to not bunch up under a wetsuit.

I have some loose boxer-style swim trunks that are made of very thin nylon. They are modest, yet quite comfortable under a wetsuit, and dry quickly and easily. Shop around...

4 pages about trunks... what's wrong with speedo style??:confused: In my country it is absolutely common thing, people use it in the beach as well as under wetsuits.

4 pages about trunks... what's wrong with speedo style??:confused: In my country it is absolutely common thing, people use it in the beach as well as under wetsuits.

We Americans (at least those from the USA) are prudes and embarrassed by our bodies, culturally. It's a ridiculous split personality we have, using sex to sell everything from chewing gum to beer but being embarrassed by what we look like.

I'm sure I've posted in this thread already but I'll say it again. Naked under my suit... it's the most comfortable "undergarment" I know of to date.

With the fore-knowledge, that I'm going to have to pee 10 minutes into almost every single dive. I wear my underwear, or if possible, less. With a beach towel tied around my waist, I can change in any parking lot, and nobody is any wiser. I find it convenient, to have the least amount of wet clothes in my car as possible.

Friends don't let friends wear speedos. TMI. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom