My LDS will no longer rent regs with mouthpiece.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Then we all go to the resort bar and try to make out with who ever is drunk enough...

I don't know how your wife feels about that, but mine always slugs me... :)

"Zero" return policy? Sorry LiveBait, not true. People (including myself) have returned/exchanged things at Sea Sports many times over the years. Their return policy is no more restrictive or liberal than 99% of the dive shops in this country.

CB5150 thanks for letting me know at least now I know it is not every store. Less than a month ago I wanted to buy Atomic SubFrame ARC at this store. I asked what is the return policy and, that is what I was told. "once I walk out the door its mine" I told the manager I just want to try it on in the water. I asked if I could get in their pool with it and was told they don't have one that I could do that with. Maybe I totally misunderstood the guy and got this all wrong but I doubt it. So I went across town to buy one where the sales person said "buy it take it home try it out. If you bring it back and I cant tell you used it no problem." I like the store it is so convenient for me but, I just cannot seem to work with them on somethings.

I don't know how your wife feels about that, but mine always slugs me... :)

And she's the one you're trying to make out with - Zing!

"Zero" return policy? Sorry LiveBait, not true. People (including myself) have returned/exchanged things at Sea Sports many times over the years. Their return policy is no more restrictive or liberal than 99% of the dive shops in this country.

The mouthpiece thing is from SSI and it is indeed confusing. Lots of students forget to bring the mouthpieces they purchased so they "borrow" them from a large box of leftovers thats sitting by the pool. They also have to keep a large bag of zip ties on hand because students are always breaking/losing the one that came with their new mouthpieces.

I won't be surprised if the whole mouthpiece thing goes away soon...unless its some kind of SSI mandatory affiliation requirement.

I was buying a hose once, did not know the exact length I needed, I was told I can buy and return if does not fit.

Not a liability issue here. Frankly, I see it as a marketing plan that is not awful- they are selling mouthpieces. Also, rental gear mouthpieces do get bit, torn, and worn out. SO the LDS has eliminated an expense of maintaining them. That's all ok with me. Does anyone remember the "moutpiece condom?" That was a waste. It's more honest to sell a mouthpiece, and they don't cost much.
DIvemasterDennis

I see it as a marketing plan that is not awful- they are selling mouthpieces. Also, rental gear mouthpieces do get bit, torn, and worn out. SO the LDS has eliminated an expense of maintaining them.

I don’t see as marketing but more accounting. They are passing part of the cost of maintenance to the customer in the form of a sale instead of raising the rental rate. Logistically, it would probably be easier to raise the rental rate and replace all mouthpieces each time a reg comes back or at the end of a class but then it’s probably bad form to jack the rental rates. Kind of like the airlines charging for checked bags, except in this case you don’t have a choice.

Why would SSI care about how a shop maintains its gear?

Why would SSI care about how a shop maintains its gear?

Are you kidding? Every training agency cares about how their affiliated shops do everything they do. Why do you think training agencies won't put us in teaching status unless we have insurance? It isn't to protect our individual assets, for sure. If you want to go in depth for this topic, let's start a new thread.

How do you figure?

Because even in NYC I found a basic VIP to run only about $15. Tumbling and O2 cleaning seems to be where the labor and costs really shoot up. That said, an extra $10 for unlimited annual airfills on a tank is a steal.

Are you kidding? Every training agency cares about how their affiliated shops do everything they do. Why do you think training agencies won't put us in teaching status unless we have insurance? It isn't to protect our individual assets, for sure. If you want to go in depth for this topic, let's start a new thread.

No, I'm not kidding. Sounds interesting. I'll start it up.

No, I'm not kidding. Sounds interesting. I'll start it up.

I'll follow you, but probably not until tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom