My LDS will no longer rent regs with mouthpiece.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ah, restaurant cutlery is shared, isn't it? Supposed to be washed but otherwise shared with everyone who ever ate there, interrupted by occasional washings.

Maybe the shop is owned by Howard Hughes Corp.

Do I sense a DNA library conspiracy here?

Wookie,

That must be it. The one thing they do that I really like is that if you get a vip with them you get free air. I do a good bit of local diving so that is a great deal for me.

How much do they charge for the VIP with "free" air?

Wookie,

That must be it. The one thing they do that I really like is that if you get a vip with them you get free air. I do a good bit of local diving so that is a great deal for me. I have tried to buy other stuff from them but, did not because they have a zero return policy. Once it is out the door its yours...

"Zero" return policy? Sorry LiveBait, not true. People (including myself) have returned/exchanged things at Sea Sports many times over the years. Their return policy is no more restrictive or liberal than 99% of the dive shops in this country.

The mouthpiece thing is from SSI and it is indeed confusing. Lots of students forget to bring the mouthpieces they purchased so they "borrow" them from a large box of leftovers thats sitting by the pool. They also have to keep a large bag of zip ties on hand because students are always breaking/losing the one that came with their new mouthpieces.

I won't be surprised if the whole mouthpiece thing goes away soon...unless its some kind of SSI mandatory affiliation requirement.

Liability issues aside -

The risk of catching anything from a rental regulator used by another person is approximately zero - bearing in mind you will be using that reg in chlorinated pools and salt water. As somebody metioned above, you're more likely to catch something from the inside of the reg than the mouthpiece and that's also pretty miniscule. Mandatory sales of new mouthpieces are silly, unless somehow stipulated by local law, which makes the local law somewhat silly also.

Cheers

C.

The risk of catching anything from a rental regulator used by another person is approximately zero - bearing in mind you will be using that reg in chlorinated pools and salt water.

Or fresh water... not everyone dives salt water.
That said, I'm more worried about what is in the lake water than I am what is on the reg.

Back
Top Bottom