My LDS will no longer rent regs with mouthpiece.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How long do you get free air for?

As long as the visual inspection is valid so, 1 year. I keep walking in thinking they are going to tell me no but, they don't... so far so good.

If I remember correctly the vip was 25$ and an Air fill is 8$ it does not count for nitrox just air.

That's about $10 more than a VIP should be, but free air for a year more than makes up for it. Well played, LDS.

Divers Supply has also started this practice....

Very, very, very few shops/resorts ever "disinfect" 2nd stages.

It's a transmissible pathogen thing. While I have never heard of an actual documented case it doesn't mean it hasn't happened. There are several virus pathogens around today that have extremely long shelf life's even after the biological material has dried out. I'm talking weeks of infect-ability even after the biological material has dried, not hours. Fortunately one of the big pathogens in peoples mind most of the time is HIV, which outside of the body is very vulnerable and dies rather fast. But HEP-C is a very nasty bug to be avoided at all costs. This topic has come up several times when I have taken advanced classes. But air sharing is still part of some programs. It creeps me out when ever I have had to do it. Another good reason to own your own regs. Who wants to use a rental reg after God knows who used it before and what that person's personal history is or even weather they vomited through the reg on a dive after drinking heavily on the surface interval the night before. YUK!!!! B.

The LDS I use changes the mouthpieces for each new class going thru the Open Water and your reg set stays in a bag with your name on it. Not sure what happens if he has a need to rent a set that weekend. I am sure it would go out the door - I would if I owned that business.

I am ok with that practice. In fact what other type of business would you put something in your mouth that has been in other customers mouths. Think about restaurants. Who would want "shared" cutlery?

Have to admit that the "shared" factor played a part in buying my gear before finishing the class. To each their own - some are cool with it - some won't be. It is an individuals decision.

Sounds like a $$ solution to a made-up problem. Selling 'fear' is profitable.

Of course during the OW course, the instructor changes his octopus mouthpiece each time he does an OOA exchange with a different student. Otherwise all this is simply overblown fear-mongering to drive sales.

Our LDS does the same thing. They won't rent a reg with a mouth piece on it. This came about when the new instructor started working there.

Crazy. Have not seen it yet around here (San Diego)...yet. We share air all the time - run an S-drill on pratically every dive. You can't really simulate an airshare exercise.

I just completed OW and throughout we used whatever mouth piece was on the reg we were handed, always different. The part that made me a little green was that for our pre-dive buddy check we took breaths on both our assigned buddy's primary and alternate regs while watching the pressure.

So, after OW class should I assume it's pretty much unacceptable to put a lip lock on an instabuddy's mouth piece? (please, please say yes). And if so, what is the accepted, 'real-world' buddy check?

Crazy. Have not seen that around here (San Diego)....yet. We share air all the time, do an S-drill on practically every dive. You can't really simulate an air share exercise.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom